Which piece of Hardware is the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xross

Beta member
First, I'd like to say that I'm new to the forums. I thought it'd be wise to get the opinions of some other knowledgable people before I start guessing at what the problem could be.

Second, I'd like to add that I built my computer myself, and I have had no issues with it before now. Also, I'm very tech-saavy, so feel free to use computer jargon if you feel it'll help express what you want to say :)

Specs:
MB: Asus P5E3 WS Pro
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
Graphics Card: BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX @ 512MB
Memory: Corsair 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (PC3 10600) Dual Channel (2 x 1GB)
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
DVD Drive: LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD-Rom & 16X DVD Burner

Problems:

I just had my computer shipped to my new address along with my monitor. When it arrived, my heatsink had, at some point, become dislodged from the MB. Keep that in mind, because it could be the cause of the problems I'm about to list since it may have been slung around and crashed into something. (I reapplied a fresh layer of silver-based thermal compound on the heatsink/processor before reassembling it).

First: My computer does not show the color red. Any red defaults to either black or a dark brown-ish color. This fault occurs regardless of the program: web pages, movies, photographs, etc...

Second: My computer is becoming increasingly slow day-by-day. Everytime I open a webpage, my computer begins to open the page as normal, then it freezes for 4-5 seconds, then resumes its normal pace before reverting to the freeze cycle again. This same thing happens even when typing on, oh say, Facebook. The text will begin typing as normal, then freeze for 4-5 seconds, then catch back up with itself quickly and show everything you typed while it was frozen (it did it while I was typing this message in the beginning, but I haven't had a problem with it oddly enough after the first 30 seconds). Another example is checking my email (Google Mail). When trying to archive or delete an email, my computer freezes for a stupid period of time before it finally obeys the command.

In addition, when playing video games, my frame rate takes a huge nose-dive at certain spots where a lot of enemies or action is taking place simultaneosly. For example, Bioshock (a shooter) will run smoothly when only one enemy is on screen or I'm not in graphically intensive area. However, when 2-3 enemies get on screen with some water splashing in the background, my frame rate face-plants. Before my current problems, I could run graphically intense games such as Fallout 3 on full settings without a hiccup. I shiver at even trying to attempt Fallout 3 right now with the way my system is acting.

Ideas:
I have a couple ideas on what could be causing the problem. My first instinct is to say that I have faulty memory. The fact that my computer has to chug and think over every action I do points toward that direction, as well as the frame rate drops in my video games. However, the fact that I have no color red makes me believe it could be a graphics card problem, although I'm not sure how a graphics card could be causing the freezes in something as simple as loading a webpage or typing a sentence on Facebook. Or maybe it's the processor? I'm not specifically sure how a damaged processor would affect my computer cause I've never experienced a damaged processor.

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions on my computer issues. I'd love some good feedback before I have to revert to drawing straws and buying new parts hoping that that part is the problem :)

With just the color red missing I would suspect the monitor. Try a different monitor if you have one or if you can borrow one.

Color problem has been located. It's my monitor. Thanks for the suggestions slaymate. That means I have another problem with my computer itself somewhere. I'll run the memtest program and verify whether or not my memory is the problem.

Quick edit: I'm looking for a great monitor (mainly playing games and movies) no smaller than 24" and preferably with a fast refresh time and great color contrast ratio. Any suggestions?

You should check the fans on your mobo's chipset for your other problems. And if your mobo has no fans you should try adding one or 2 if possible. What are your mobo temps? The last time my mouse acted like yours the mobo died a few weeks later.

You definitely hit it on the spot. The problem was cooling. I put in a couple extra fans I had lying around and problem solved. Thanks for the great help. Now I just have to buy a new monitor.

As for the monitors you listed above Hefemeister, I have my eye on either the Samsung or the Asus. That 3-year warranty on the Samsung is appealing, so I'm probably going to purchase it. I don't like New Egg's policy on LCD monitors, though. If I happen to get one with 20 dead pixels, New Egg doesn't recognize that as a reasonable problem for an exchange or refund. But the user reviews have had no comments about dead pixels, so I may take the chance.

Thanks!

I went ahead and ordered the Samsung from Newegg. Thanks for your assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom