Phenom II x6 1055t not blowing my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidman

Beta member
Hi everyone. I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, but I figured a Phenom II hex-core would make my computer-experience a lot faster than what I got with my dual-core.

So I got a new motherboard, a new processor, an additional HDD and two sticks of DDR3 memory.

My problem is the computer has been really slow lately - slower than ever before in some respects - and I have observed (and done) a few things that might be the cause of it.

First off, I installed XP and got all the updates, service packs and whatnot. I also got the drivers off the CD that came with the motherboard. One Program that I use is TurboV EVO. When I first installed it, and maybe before I got SP3, the Turbo Unlocker Monitor (small pop-up over the taskbar) showed full bars (16.0) for each processor (when I press the Turbo Unlocker button that is). I couldn't tell if it made my computer any "faster", but I was at least sure it wasn't any slower than when I used the dual-core.

I guess I installed a bunch of software, downloaded some music and whatnot and got some microsoft updates, when all of a sudden the bars on the turbo unlocker monitor were all on 4.0. Sometimes when the computer was performing a task, like opening chrome or even just explorer, one of the bars would go up to 14.0 and linger there for a second or two.

Another thing I have observed is that the task manager shows CPU usage is almost always under 5%, and Commit Charge lower than a 1000M / 5209M. I have no clue what any of this means, but I got 4GB of RAM and I thought that would keep me from having to deal with explorer lagging, what with my previous set-up only using 2GB.

Also, Media Player Classic lagged for probably the first time ever. I got it to lag less by shutting down uTorrent and Steam, but it still lagged a couple of times.

The hardware I got is
M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1055t CPU
and a 1TB HDD and some RAM... if necessary I can give more information on the hardware. I just really don't know what to look for. Any help appreciated, and sorry if I post this in the wrong section :S

Man you should get Windows 7, Is the XP 32 bit? If so you wont be using all of your ram. Also, go to the motherboard manufacturers website to get the drivers, they will be most up to date. I'm not even sure if XP can support 6 cores?

That would be Cool n Quiet. It doesn't use up all your CPU power until you need it.

I think XP can only use a max of 4 cores. It wasn't made around the time 6 cores were present. I think With the latest SP, you can run 4 cores. I do think XP is limiting you from achieving all the hardware, as Josh said.

You want to run Windows 7 X64 to get any performance.

Indeed you aren't utilizing the hardware to its full potential mostly because of you 32-bit XP.

Plus as MoM said, you probably have cool n' quiet on so that will hamper you further.

Thanks for the help everyone. I had no idea I needed to upgrade to 7. Gonna try and install that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom