Beta member
The System:
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300@1.86GHz
M/B: GigaByte 82P965/G065
GPU: GeForce GT 240 1024MB DDR3
PSU: ISO P500SPP
RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 800 Transcend 520929-8813
HDD: 1xWDC WD2500KS-OOM and 2xWDC WD5000AAKS-O
OSs: Win7 Ultimate 64bit & Ubuntu 10.10(maverick)

The Problem:
The hardware exists with above configuration since mid July 2010 (added the graphics card). Was mostly working without issues (well one but not the issue here). A few hours ago i wanted to switch over to linux for another set of daily activities. Here it gets weird. It did shut down properly, restarted, showed gfx card info at first as usual and reach the memtest. It passed that ok and when i expected to see the usual pci device listing screen it restarted. I wasnt paying much attention at the time but i finally started noticing that something was wrong after the 3rd memory test and restart. The intervals from restart to restart are about 5 seconds. Its the same from cold startup as well, no change in the pattern, up to memtest and restart. Also there is no beeping involved so i decided to skip ram at the time and focus on the HDDs which were far more handy. The plot twister is here. When i remove either of the 500gb secondary (mass storage drives) i can load linux with a serious delay of the usual loading times (takes about 1 min to get to the boot selection screen). Of course windows are totally unusable. No amount of repair, bootable cd, reloading from a restore point or anything else that was on the repair list works. Loading without repairs (the other option) just leads to a frozen loading screen. Also safe mode leads to a frozen loading screen.

I have not encountered this behaviour before hence this post for help/advice/solutions/discussion. What is perplexing is that i can boot with the dual boot HDD on and either one or none of the other two. Not all three together. Im leaning towards the PSU as a logical solution but the quite long loading times do not make any sense. On a final note, this post and all system info are gathered live from the afflicted machine while downloading stuff, playing vids in the background and running all system tests i can find.

Thanks in advance.

One or more of your RAM sticks is bad. Run using only one stick, and replace it with a different one if it works. Also might want to get and run Memtest86+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom