Perplexing hard drive issue...

DaPurpleRT

Baseband Member
Hey guys.

My Dell Studio 1747 started freezing on the Dell boot screen or getting to the Windows boot menu and freezing a a balck screen no matter which option you choose. Same deal with F8 boot menu. I tried removing the Toshiba SATA HDD and hooking i to an external usb adapter and a different pc. It sees it, installs drivers but half the times doesn't show the partitions in My Computer. Sometimes it does, ha the correct volume labels and correct used HD space but if ou click into the mainb C: partition it shows there are no files (despite showing in My Computer there are over 100Gb used on it) or directories that then show empty on the dell RECOVERY partition.

I put the drive back in the laptop and booted with the win 7 cd and tried to repair. In the repair options it sees no HD. Same deal if I try to install windows (curious to see if it showed the HD) but when I hit refresh it sees both partitions. I go back out to the repairs and they still don't see the. I downloaded and put Hiren's Boot CD on a jump drive but none of those programs seem to see a HD...

Needless t say I failed in not backing up this drive, read pictures, and I really need to get it up long enough to get those at least.

I hope this sounds familiar to someone or someone has an idea!

Thanks in advance and HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!

-Ryan

If you can get it to recognize sometimes.. Get a Linux LiveCD and boot off of it. See if it's recognized there, and copy as much data off as you can.

Back
Top Bottom