Peripherals(mouse,keyboard...whole PC) gets stuck all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subanesh

Beta member
Hi All,
I have the following wierd problem in my PC.

Machine Details:
IntelPentium 4 Processor
256MBRAM
OS-Windows Xp Home Edition
Award Bios

I will let you know more specific details if required( I dont remember them exactly right now)

Problem:
My keyboard and mouse gets stuck(the system as a whole hangs...nothing works hardware/software) all of a sudden when am working with the windows and am unable to do anything other than reboot the machine.Again it works fine for sometime and then this happens again. It works fine for about 30 mins
On one day I recieved a message when booting that "Warning:CPU Settings has been changed...."
So I tried doing the following.
1)Removed the CMOS(CR 2032 Maxell) and placed it again ( I read this somewhere online)
2)This time it said "CMOS checksum error".However in the BIOS I used "Load Failsafe defaults option".
But still the problem persists.
Shall I flash the bios and upgrade it.
Please let me know what I should do now?

Thanks,
Subanesh

For the checksum error - your battery could be dying. Replace the CMOS battery and see if that helps.

As for the freezing of the computer - give the case a good cleaning with a can of air - ensure all fans are working properly. Seems to me it could be an overheating issue. Have you cleaned the system recently? (disk cleanup, disk defrag, error checking)

Thanks for your advice.
I will try doing the blowing of the case and clean the fans also. I did put in a new cmos battery but nothing seems to have changed. I have also done diskcleanup,defrag and ran spyware(all these were done in the time I get before the hanging of system occurs)
I would like to give you some additional info.
Sometimes the hang occurs well before the booting of OS occurs and at times at the time of booting and at other times after am working on the comp for 20 mins or so.

I found the following two events in my eventviewer logs as System errors.Am not sure whether this would help however am just providing it here.

1)DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service ImapiService with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{520CCA63-51A5-11D3-9144-00104BA11C5E}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

2)The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

And if HEAT is the real issue pls let me know how do we prove that so that I can have the confidence that we have nailed down the issue.

If you want me to provide any CPU/Bios settings/specifications please let me know so that I can get you them.

Okay sounds like there is a cridical error in your OS. And normally i would suggest a system restore but it seems that is one of your errors.

Do you have the ability to reinstall the OS?

Hi I did do a reinstall of the OS. However the issue still resurfaced. I also noticed that I was haiving few problems with my CD drive. It ejects/works properly at times and at times it doesnt work properly.So what I did is,I removed the connection to the CD drive and now its working without any problem. Can this CD drive be the problem that my system was hanging ? Also Ifeel my keyboard has a bad PS/2 connector ...again can this be the source of the problem?

Hello,

The CD drive can cause some issues. If the drive is bad it will cause you many issues. It could be drawing more power which can lead to many issues and possibly kill your PSU long before it should expire.

If the keyboard has a faulty connector the best thing would be to just buy a new one. They are like $10 at WalMart. Not worth it to try and fix it.

Cheers,
Mak

Yes am replacing the keyboard and i have also removed my cd drive from the system for now....Will check and let know if the problem persists...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom