Periodic drops in graphics performance for multiple games - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Periodic drops in graphics performance for multiple games

Firstly, I had a hard time being sure where to put this, because I'm not utterly sure if its hardware or software or what.

I have tried playing Sacred 2, Aion, and now AvP3 and, unless i turn the graphics down dramatically, i will have FPS problems every so often, perhaps once every minute lasting for ~15 seconds. It Varies. AvP3 does this regardless of the graphics setting.

I know I meet the system req's for these games, and even the recommended req's. I also just installed the latest graphics driver today.

Specs are as follows:

4GB DDR3 RAM
Intel Centrino 2
Nvidia Geforce 9800M GTS, 1 GB. (laptop)

I have an excess of hard disk space and I'm running vista home premium 64 bit.

I can turn graphics settings up very high, or to max and everything will work excellently except for these sudden fps dips.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Periodic drops in graphics performance for multiple games

Check background processes. What other programs have you got running?

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Its a laptop......... definitely check the temp of the gpu while gaming.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just opened up AvP3, minimized it at and checked out the processes going on in the task manager. AVP takes up about 60% of the CPU power and about 850 megs of memory. Nothing else is using much except i notice that sometimes dwm.exe or desktop windows manager will peak up, one time to 43. Is DWM something all vista users have? i dont really know what it is.

Also, I'm running norton and cisco clean access agent. CCAA is required to use the internet for where I live, an apartment.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Its a laptop......... definitely check the temp of the gpu while gaming.
I have thought that that could be a possibility because it does seem to get hot. Any way to tell if the gpu is too hot? what's too hot? would an overheating issue at like this? idk.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Download HWMonitor, it'll get the temps for you
http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-18-2010, 10:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ok thanks i did that. I'm now running avp and the gpu is currently at 110 celsius, but now dropped to 104. I closed ojut of avp and now its dropping and now at 81. I think at the start it was 70 ish I can't remember

I basically have no idea how hot is too hot.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

That is WAY too hot
You might need to open up the laptop and clean out any dust clogging up the inside. Especially pay attention to any fans.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Okay so i tried to do as much cleaning as possible, though i couldn't get to the graphics card very well but i did my best. At first i tried it and let it sit for a bit and it was only getting to around 77, but now its at 96. I've also taken note of the arrangements of the vents and am holding my laptop accordingly.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdhaines0625 View Post
Okay so i tried to do as much cleaning as possible, though i couldn't get to the graphics card very well but i did my best. At first i tried it and let it sit for a bit and it was only getting to around 77, but now its at 96. I've also taken note of the arrangements of the vents and am holding my laptop accordingly.
Whats the room temperature?

Closed Thread