PCI Wi-Fi Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigma534

Beta member
I have recently installed a wireless network. The router and laptop card seem to be working fine, but I'm having problems with the PCI wireless network card in my desktop.

When I install the drivers for the first time, it works fine but when I re-boot it can't find the wireless signal (even though there is one). There does not appear to be any hardware conflict when I look in the Device Manager and the drivers seem to remain intact.

It has the feeling of a conflict, but there is nothing identifiable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Neil

If you are using the windows wireless configuration tool (which you should its better than most wireless card ones) Make sure you have the option to connect to your type of connection selected in the options (infrastructure mode) connect to hotspots.

Windows XP - it's a SafeCom 54mb PCI card.

I've removed the manufacturer software.

I seem to have it up and running now. Oddly however, the card seems to "sleep" when I turn the PC on. When I tinker with the connection settings (i don't actually have to change any settings, merely going into the properties and navigating around seems to "wake" the card up and it can find the networks!).

I'm also having a bit of probs with passwords. I'm not sure what type of security to use. (WPA, WEP etc??). Do I need to adjust the user machines to enable certain types of encryption?

Thanks again

Neil

use wpa, its much more secure then wep, (but still crackable) If you don't use any encryption then there's nothing to stop leacher's from stealing your bandwidth. You have to set the wpa encryption passphrase in the router then you will have to enter the passphrase in the wireless networks section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom