PCI Express slot no longer responding to Hardware - Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pushlatency

Beta member
I have an Optiplex GX620, which has run wonderfully for 2 years with no problems. I upgraded to PowerColor's HD 2400 256mb PCI Express card a few months ago, again with no problems. As I was carefully dinking about in my case yesterday, (with the computer on), I apparently touched something, and the display suddenly gave-out; the touch was as delicate as is imaginable.

Thinking I had fried the card, I tried to install the old PEG which was working just fine when I made the upgrade, and it didn't work either. I should note that with either of these cards, the computer makes its start-up as usual, as I can tell from the sounds of the boot sequence. There is no other indication that anything is wrong, and that's with the card in, and the monitor plugged-in.

I have a lot of experience installing and upgrading hardware, but no real practical experience troubleshooting the motherboard or figuring-out where to look to diagnose a problem like this.

I wonder, is the PEG slot fried? Why is the computer operating without a problem with this condition? Is there a default setting in BIOS that took-over and disabled the slot? Is this fixable?

In BIOS, it doesn't give any indication that there is anything wrong with the slot either. The PCI menu shows all of the slots, and the PEG is simply labeled empty.

Also, if there is no way to fix the slot, can anyone recommend a good PCI gaming card for under $200?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thank you, in advance.

~P_L

okay, so does this pc have a onboard video controller part of the motherboard?

I have a gx 280 I think it is and it has a pci-express slot along with onboard video.

If you got something messed up in the BIOS all you can do is take the CMOS battery out to have it set back to factory defaults.

okay, so does this pc have a onboard video controller part of the motherboard?

I have a gx 280 I think it is and it has a pci-express slot along with onboard video.

If you got something messed up in the BIOS all you can do is take the CMOS battery out to have it set back to factory defaults.

I took out the CMOS battery for a minute, put it back in, and the problem remains. The motherboard doesn't seem to have an onboard video controller; when I got it, it had a PCI express card in it, which worked then and when I took it out, but after trying it again, it doesn't work either.

The fan on the card is getting power, which is mystifying.

Any other ideas? I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help, in advance!

There is an onboard video controller, but it's not the kind into which I can plug a standard analog monitor plug: it's a male end. There are also two sockets for old-school, non-usb mouse and keyboard - that I had never even noticed.

Is this helpful at all? Thanks so much for the assistance!

a analog video input on the computer should have a male end.. THen the cable from the monitor should be female....

Unless it is a serial port.

If that doesn't work try using compressed air of some sort and blow that into the PCI slot on the motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom