PCI Express slot doesn't work - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PCI Express slot doesn't work

I took apart my computer to clean it and put in a new power supply. When I went to put it back together I plugged the four prong power for the CPU in the wrong way (because I was feeding it with plyers the pressure must've allowed it that way). I found it was wrong and corrected it but now my pci express for my video card does not work, it does not get power, the video card still works on other PCs it is the slot itself that doesn't work. The rest of the computer functions completely normally without the video card but does anyone know if there is any way to reverse this anything I could try? Or is it new MOBO time? Thank you for the help.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: PCI Express slot doesn't work

Brothajiff, so your saying you get video from the motherboard? w\o the gpu in? I'm not saying its compactors, but hear is some reading on possibilities.

asus striker extreme/e6850/4g ddr2 800/8800gts640sli
Old 11-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My computer was originally storebought so it came with a chipset which can give it video the GPU was aftermarket but the PCI slot does not receive power, you think plugging it in there could have blown a capacitor?
Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Have you checked in bios to see if it was reset to default of onboard graphics?

You may need to change it to pci-e graphics.
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah it's not the BIOS its a power problem, the slot itself isn't getting power.
Closed Thread