PCI-E no, PCI yes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaineMoose

Beta member
Hello all,

I am having a problem getting video from a PCI-E card/slot, but not from a PCI card in a different slot. I am hoping someone has an idea for me to test this system or perhaps even a solution to this challenge.

This is my second build so I have limited knowledge and experience.

Along with other components I purchased a XFX 6600 GT PCI-E SLI ready card. Upon assembly I was able to get into the BIOS and set up a basic system, save & exit. This is when the trouble started. The monitor would go black for 30 – 60 seconds and then the system would reboot. I tried both PCI-E slots. After several hours on the phone with the supplier and ASUS, I RMA’d the motherboard & CPU and was told they had found an error with the Motherboard. A different motherboard was sent and I reassembled the system and the monitor would go black, but now it did not reboot. At that point I began to suspect the video card.

I RMA’d the video card, was told XFX had found a problem and I was sent a new 6600 GT. Again I experienced the same black monitor after the POST and BIOS set up. I was about the RMA everything when I tried a PCI video card – amazingly it worked. I now have a functioning PC, but without being able to use the PCI-E slots.

So how do I test the motherboard’s PCI-E slots – without buying a new card or what else do I need to test – and what would I be looking for as a positive or negative result.

I have PCMark05, PC Wizard 2006, SISoftware Sandra Lite 2007, and AquaMark 3 available to me.

System specs
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3700+, Family F, Model 7, Stepping 1
Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC, Model A8N32-SLI-Deluxe, Version Rev1.xx
Chipset nVidia GeForce 6100/6150, Rev A2
Southbridge nVidia nForce4 MCP
BIOS Version 1009
BIOS Release Date 12/14/2005
GPU Current GeForce4 MX 4000 Bus Type : PCI Total Memory :128 MB
RAM 2 Gs Corsair (CMX1024-3200C2)
PSU PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express / SLI
Hard drive Hitachi 7200 RPM, 400 G
OS Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Version 5.1.2600

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

Thanks
JD

Don't mess with your bios unless you know what you are doing. reset the cmos and/or pull the battery for about 15 minutes. Then when you get it back up, or with the pci card load the default bios settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom