PC would not start..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdar

Daemon Poster
One of my friend cannot turn on his computer.

There was thanderstorm and aperently when he came back... he could not turn off his comp.... So he puled out cord and connected agian...
But now when he turn on his PC.. he have just Green light (on PC).. and that all nothing else...

If that was becouse of thanderstorm.. it probably would not work..

OK first off have him look in his comp. It may be melted. Second, why didnt he unplug it? I live in Missouri and everyday I unplug my comp because weather here is tricky.

this may sound stupid...

I had a thunderstorm, forget to turn off the powerbar, and my powercord was fried...

Tell him to try another power cable.

i would say... if he has a (Plug Expansion Thingy) he should have not shocked his comp. It would probably have to be new to not have already gotten overloaded before.

I would say that his computer is just plain out fried. And if he truly has the time, or if this is his one and only, check each individual part in a friends comp.

Definitly not a good idea to plug a computer right into the wall. Use a surge protector. That way, if it gets overloaded it just flips a breaker and you can reset it, no harm done.

Slightly off-topic. One time, back when I had a Nintendo 64, I was playing while it was thunder/lightning out. Then the power went off, and after that the Nintendo didn't turn on anymore. A few months later we had another thunderstorm, and the power went out again. The Nintendo was still plugged in. When the power came back in, I said what the ****, and tried to turn the Nintendo on...and it worked! :eek:

Weird huh?

But what if he have that green light on? or this dont mean any thing?
..............When he try to turn it on.

have him try these

1) resetting the cmos , unplug the power cord and get the battery out for 1 hour then put it back and power up (and naturally its important to put it back exactly as it was and not upside down)

2) if #1 didnt work , then the psu or mobo are fried (or maybe both) and possibly other parts too , theres a way to test if its the psu or mobo , unplug the power cord and disconnect the main connector from the mobo (20 or 24 pin) and use a wire thats stripped in both ends put one end to the pin with the green wire and the other to one of the blacks
24pinjump.gif

then plug the power cord , if it powers up then the mobo is fried but if it doesnt then the psu is fried

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom