PC won't start up at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

chjay

Beta member
Hi,

I've been building my own pc's for years now, and without any issue. I recently built an AMD based PC, pretty high spec, and it died a sudden death yesterday. It has run faultlessly for around 5 or 6 months now, so it's not an incompatibility issue. I fear it may be the motherboard, however I'm not sure what failsafe precautions are built into motherboards these days, should it be the CPU that has failed...

When I "first" try firing it up, it "twitches" the case and PSU fans, but not the CPU fan. After that, the power switch does nothing. I have to completely disconnect the power, and let the PSU empty it's small reserve of charge, before I can get the fans to twitch again. It's an MSI K9AGM2 motherboard, and an Athlon FX 64 X2 6400+ CPU.

If anybody is any wiser, I'd greatly appreciate your input, as my other system is an old P4, so I can't just switch the components across.

Just to clarify, I've stripped it right back to the bare bones. No hard disks connected (power or SATA), removed all peripherals (PCI, USB and Firewire) and even tried it with and without the RAM installed.

I look forward to all your help,

Kind regards,
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom