PC won't start - how to install from scratch and other questions - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: PC won't start - how to install from scratch and other questions

Thanks. I had the same issue again this morning. I'll definitely be getting a new wifi card in the coming week. I'll update if it continues with the new card...

guinness1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Update - I installed windows 7 over my vista os with the same driver and on my first restart, it happened again.

Being a fresh install and not having all the drivers for things like usb, gpu and monitors, and not remembering where these drivers were located in the pc, I allowed the device manager to search online. I also did the same for the router and it downloaded one I had not previously found online or through the manufacturer website for the product. The driver seems to have fixed the problem because I have had no problems with startup since then.

I guess it was the driver then. I don't know what could have caused the old driver I was using, which according to the linksys website was the latest and specific to the routers hardware version, to cause problems all of a sudden after years of usage. I don't think it was a Vista specific problem since I got the same startup loop after installing Windows 7. For now I'm just glad my pc seems to be working fine again and I was able to sort it out and save a few dollars

Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness1983 View Post
Update - I installed windows 7 over my vista os with the same driver and on my first restart, it happened again.

Being a fresh install and not having all the drivers for things like usb, gpu and monitors, and not remembering where these drivers were located in the pc, I allowed the device manager to search online. I also did the same for the router and it downloaded one I had not previously found online or through the manufacturer website for the product. The driver seems to have fixed the problem because I have had no problems with startup since then.

I guess it was the driver then. I don't know what could have caused the old driver I was using, which according to the linksys website was the latest and specific to the routers hardware version, to cause problems all of a sudden after years of usage. I don't think it was a Vista specific problem since I got the same startup loop after installing Windows 7. For now I'm just glad my pc seems to be working fine again and I was able to sort it out and save a few dollars
So, even it is running a microsoft generic driver, post what kind "model number" you have and let me see about locating a recent new one.
-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

It's not a generic driver. I previously had the 3.0.3.0 driver which was the latest for the linksysy wireless-g pci card V.4 Now I have the 3.1.0.0 driver installed which works fine.

Actually, from a quick search just now, it seems that the 3.1.0.0 is the latest driver by a few months, I don't know why I wasn't able to find it when I was looking on the Linksys website though.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness1983 View Post
It's not a generic driver. I previously had the 3.0.3.0 driver which was the latest for the linksysy wireless-g pci card V.4 Now I have the 3.1.0.0 driver installed which works fine.

Actually, from a quick search just now, it seems that the 3.1.0.0 is the latest driver by a few months, I don't know why I wasn't able to find it when I was looking on the Linksys website though.

Atleast its works for now like you said,
If it does start this up again and is persistent on not working, just come back to this thread and see about upgrading that wireless nic card.

Best of luck to you.

-RockMan- is offline   Reply With Quote