PC won't go into standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I've got a 2 yr old eMachines XP desktop. Everything has been fine until recently. I've got the power options set to turn off the monitor and hard disc at 10 mins and to go to standby at 15 mins. Sometimes it will do this and sometimes it won't.

My wife and I just got back from dinner and the computer was still on and running :mad: . Does anyone know what I should do to get my computer to go into standby when it should (15mins?)

Danny

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Power Options. Beside the System Standby option select the amount of time you would like the system to stay on for until going to standby mode.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Power Options. Beside the System Standby option select the amount of time you would like the system to stay on for until going to standby mode.

Yes, I've already done that about a year ago. As I said in my first post, I've got the power options set to turn off the monitor at 10 mins, turn off the hard disc at 10 mins and go into standby in 15 mins.

Most of the time, the PC will go into standby after 15 mins. However, sometimes it stays on for hours with all the fans running, the monitor on and the hard disc going burning more electricity than it needs to. At least the screen saver is on but it still should be in stby. The problem seems to be happening more and more lately.

Will it go into standby with the mouse removed?

The computer goes into standby most of the time (with the mouse connected.) However, sometimes it decides not to go into standby.......like when we leave the house all day long :rolleyes: .

I've been watching it closely since I started this thread and its been going into standby like it should. If I quit "watching" it, I bet it'll start acting up again :D.

An overly sensitive mouse can almost be used as a seismometer.:laughing:

I hear you :D ! The mouse is about 4 yrs old and has worked great all of this time but maybe its going out?

Its been a while since I've run things like Adaware and Spybot, disc cleanup and defrag. I'm going to do those things today and see if maybe they can clean up something that may be causing the intermittent "won't go into standby" issue.

if the mouse is an optical one make sure the area under the light is clear of stuff like dust and fibres which can cause the mouse to detect movement randomly. also check the device settings for mouse and keyboard under device manager and ensure the box that says something like "allow the computer to turn this device off to save power" is checked. it could also be due to software on your pc that won't allow it to go to standby. sometimes AV software has options to prevent standby/shutdown if it is running a scan. other examples are media players, defragmenters and video encoding utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom