PC won't burn files 2 discs from my BR or DVD drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PC won't burn files 2 discs from my BR or DVD drives

I have had my LG BD-RE Drive (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE BH08LS20 ATA Device) & LG DVD RW Drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20 SCSI) which the LG.com site said it was a discontinued model so no updated firmware possible, for over a year and until a couple days ago no problems. Now, I can't burn video files to either drives. They both play dvds/blue-rays and recognize blank discs but I get error's every time I try and burn files.
I've tried to update the firmware for the Blue-Ray but it made no diff. / I uninstalled both devices in 'device manager' and re-booted my PC...nothing ! I tried Windows Media Player to burn, Windows DVD Maker, Nero 9, Blaze Media Pro, I tried to drag & drop, I used DVD-R & DVD+R discs...nada, I tried everything I think ?
If my LG DVD reader/writer is discontinued, what to do ? That doesn't explain why my LG Blue-Ray won't burn files though. Are they simply not compatible with Windows & 64 bit Home premium ? That makes no sense because they used to work. Do I buy a new BR reader/writter and see if it works ? Could it be I need to do a fresh install of Win7 ? I hope not but I will if need be.
Please, my PC-Specs are listed below. Would someone with real-world experience lend me a hand in figuring out exactly what to do and where to go from here. I'm completely stumped ! I'm very capable of replacing the drive myself but if the drive recognizes blank-discs and plays their respective type of discs (BRs and DVDs) then why spend $ on a new one ?
Anyone with knowledge of what to do please reply at your earliest convenience, it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

My PC-Specs are : Asus P7P55d Pro mo-bo /(1st gen.)i5 750 @ 2.67ghz /8 gigs DDR3 1333/ OCZ SSHD 60 gig w/ Win7 home premium 64 bit/ 500gig Samsung HD (sata) @ 7200rpm (2) 1 terabyte external HD's via USB 2.0/ Saffire Radeon 6950 2gig DDR5 GPU/ Aztec 650w modular P.S./ Aztec mid tower/ LG DVD RW Drive (HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22LP20)/ LG BD-RE Drive (HL-DT-ST-BD-RE BH08LS20)/ main monitor:40" Sony Bravia 1080p LED/ extended monitor 55" Samsung 3D 1080p Plasma / Lycosa Razor Keyboard & Razor Blue-tooth gaming mouse / Logitech Z2300 2.1 400W PC-Speaker set / X-Box wireless controller w/ Play & Charge Kit / Logitech 1080p WebCam
Closed Thread