PC won't boot with video card plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePHD

Beta member
My PC is 2200+ (Overclocked)
Geforce 6600 GT
1 GB Ram

I thought the power supply had finally kicked it since the video card fan would not always start when i'd boot up the computer. It's not a very good one either. (250 W) So I went home and got another power supply (300 W) and I thought this would be enough to fix the problem. I hook it up to the HD and plug it into the Motherboard and it starts. I Power down and then plug the power supply into the video card. Same problem as before. Unplug it again and it starts without the video card plugged in. Then I tested to see if the old power supply would work. It turns out it WOULD work with the old power supply as long as the 6600 GT wasn't plugged.

I'm a student and I don't have a job or much cash to buy something really expensive to fix this. I know it's crappy but my PC is my life and I need to fix this.

Is it just not getting enough power or is the card dead? It worked fine for like a year and then my pc just shut off all of a sudden today.

if you can, go to like best buy or circuit city and buy a cheap card. plug it in and see if it works. that will tell you if it is your card or the psu. also, you can return the card for a full refund if it turns out to be the psu (just dont buy one on clearance), so no worries there. even better, snag one of your friends cards from their pc and see if it works. make sure it is the right type (ie AGP or PCIe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom