PC won't boot up after turning it off for the night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedMorning

Solid State Member
I saw that someone else posted a thread along the lines of this but I thought I would start a new one seeing that I think this is a little bit different than that persons situation.

The problem; I turned my computer off for the night (rarely do this) and in the morning I go to boot it up and when I press the button on the front nothing happens. I open up the side and see there is a light on my motherboard that is on BUT there is a weird sound (ringing) coming from my power supply when the computer is plugged in (I plug it into a powerbar).

I assume my power supply is done for but I thought I'd ask anyways.

I'll post 2 other problems I've had just incase they help
- When I try to boot up my computer sometimes the motherboard fan won't turn on. It will turn for 2 seconds then turn off, computer will say that a fan isn't on and I have to keep rebooting it till it fully turns on.
- When playing a game that has a higher demand for graphics (Counter-Strike: Source) earlier into the game when I'm playing the textures will start flashing bright green for 5 - 10 minutes then stop.
Those seem like signs of a bad power supply in my opinion.

Suggestions?

Is it a 680i motherboard? If you hold the power button down will it fully boot? Can we get some info on your specs?

Also, google "paper clip test" to rule out the PSU.

My motherboard (copying off the box) is an ASUS A8N-E (Socket 939 for AMD CPU, NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra, Advanced Overclocking Features).
Power Supply is only 450W I think
The video card is a BFG 6600GT OC 128MB PCI-E (According to the old bill I have lol anyways its nvidia I believe)
Gig of RAM and 300gig harddrive

hopefully this is enough, Im not much of a computer junky...hence why I'm here lol

edit: paper clip test, something like this? How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Yes, that lets you test the psu without using the motherboard. This allows you to figure out if its the power supply or motherboard/memory/gpu/etc

I'll paper clip test it tonight. I was going to prep it for later tonight but its being the biggest annoyance trying to disconnect the main connection from the motherboard lol

Edit: this thing seriously doesn't want to disconnect from my motherboard. That 24pin thing isn't moving a bit. This is my first time removing something like this... tips/tricks to removing it?

I'll paper clip test it tonight. I was going to prep it for later tonight but its being the biggest annoyance trying to disconnect the main connection from the motherboard lol

Edit: this thing seriously doesn't want to disconnect from my motherboard. That 24pin thing isn't moving a bit. This is my first time removing something like this... tips/tricks to removing it?

Make sure you're pushing down the clip on the connector; And wiggle it a little bit from side to side if you need to until it slides out.

Make sure you're pushing down the clip on the connector; And wiggle it a little bit from side to side if you need to until it slides out.

I've been doing that for a while and still no give...I'll keep trying!!

edit: I got it. I celebrated already. I'll be testing it soon.

Just tried the paperclip trick. Was a tad nervous sticking metal things into electric things and hoped nothing would really spark lol The final result was...nothing. PSU is dead. Thanks for the help!!

edit: I think I'm going to get a 650w PSU compared to my current 450w. That should be suitable for my pc since I game lots on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom