PC Won't Boot Properly - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to MrSpecial
Default PC Won't Boot Properly

My brother is having problems starting up and running his computer. When he came home from school today, he returned to the Windows Blue Screen of Death, and when he tried rebooting his computer, it didn't start up right.

After the computer started, he got a few messages regarding a Broadcom device, and then one that said their was a Media Test Failure. I checked inside the computer and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with that specific hardware. However, when I turned on the computer after looking inside the PC, we received another error(in addition to the Broadcom error), saying Primary Hard Drive Disk 0 Failure, and something saying SATA Primary Hard Disk 0 Configuration error. I then checked the cords for all the drives, and I couldn't see anything wrong. Can someone help me find a solution to this?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to b_young86 Send a message via Yahoo to b_young86

hmmmm, a BIOS problem? that's strange. At first it sounded like a hardware issue, but then it sounds like it manifested itself to cause more problems. Can you boot the drive on another machine?

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3000+
1.25 Gigs 2700 DDR
460 Gigs Hard Drive
1 - 15.4\"Widescreen LCD
1 - 17\" LCD

HP iPAQ hw6515 with 1.5 Gigs of storage
Old 05-19-2006, 03:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

seems to be a straight out hard drive failure. give the drive a try and if it doesn't work in another computer you have your answer.
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
PC Cutie ^_^

whatever the problem is, if you can ever get back into windows again, you MUST get the data off of the drive somehow.

mess around with the HD and other devices, after you’ve saved the data.

(Rafe’s mother just lost several years of data a few days ago because her HD failed. [so forgive my rather pushy advice] )
Old 05-19-2006, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to Dr.Gootch Send a message via MSN to Dr.Gootch

lol, uhm yeah try that HDD in another computer make sure all the connections r tightly.. If the HDD seems fine then swap out the IDE / SATA cables if u got them. And try different ones.
Rebuilding in progress... Pending Specs....

Yours Truly,
Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to MrSpecial

I went back today, and I checked all the plugs to all the devices. After starting up, I saw no message regarding his broadcom hardware, or the Hard Drive. Instead, it only says Primary Drive 0 not found after the BIOS information. According to one of the cables(or strips?) inside his computer, that appears to be his DVD drive. Is this what I should be taking out instead of his hard drive? Or am I mistaken?

Closed Thread