PC will run for 5 seconds and shut off after installing wireless-n card

Status
Not open for further replies.

arejay

Baseband Member
I have a gateway gt5628.

I just purchased a LinkSysWMP300N and installed it. However, whenever I turn the computer on, the fans start spinning like crazy and then shut off after 5 or so seconds. I just went and replaced the PSU with an Antec EA-650 thinking it was that but no luck...

If I remove the card, and turn the PC on it works like normal

Any ideas?

Have you taken out the Linksys to see if there is a driver conflict?

I have, and if I do the computer turns on and works like normal

in my Device manager, I have 2 unknown devices:

PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller.

How did you install it? Did you read the directions? I know it sounds simple, but sometimes it isn't as simple and plugging it in and it working. Certain cards / devices require the drivers to be installed first, then to physically install the device.

Uninstall what you've done to this point. Read the directions, install to the exact specifications, then we'll go from there.

I would say there is a driver/IRQ/DMA conflict w/ another device.

Yes, I installed it exactly as the directions said to. I'll uninstall try again and post anything that happens.

same problem still...I read the instructions and followed exactly. After the install copies the files it shuts down and I install the card. GO to boot back up and it turns on for 4/5 seconds and shuts off into and endless cycle. Take the card out and hit the power, boots up just fine.

unfortunately there is only one on the gateway gt5628.

there was a 56k modem installed in the slot previously.

does the PCI Simple Communications Controller & SM Bus Controller that show up as "other" in the device manager have something to do with it?

Could be. Install ALL drivers that come with the MB. If you don't have the original driver CD, first do a windows update. if that doesn't catch the missing drivers go to the manf. website to install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom