PC Will Not Boot Without Drive C (And Its Empty) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default PC Will Not Boot Without Drive C (And Its Empty)

This ones a bit tricky for me to describe but Im trying to set it up so my graphics card has its own rail from the PSU. This isnt possible unless I get rid of something that requires a 4-pin connector. I have two hard drives, a 40GB (C:) acting as a master although it is malfunctioning so I had everything put on to the second hard drive, a 80GB (D:). As C: has nothing on it I figured I would take it out, this way I could give my GPU its own rail, more power and the crashing that I experience from having the card overclocked when playing games should stop.

I took C: out, changed D:'s jumper to "master" setting and placed it in C:'s previous position. The computer would only boot so far. I could get to the BIOS where I could see that the drive was reconised. One of the options I could not change in the boot sequence was "Boot from Hard Drive C:" or something along the lines of that. I would need it to boot from D: would I not? I could only get it to boot properly again by changing everything back. Now im here to ask how can I get the PC to boot from D? The only way I can think of giving drive a new letter would be to partition D but that would wipe all the contents would it not?

Cheers.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: PC Will Not Boot Without Drive C (And Its Empty)

Quote:
Originally posted by westy159
This ones a bit tricky for me to describe but Im trying to set it up so my graphics card has its own rail from the PSU. This isnt possible unless I get rid of something that requires a 4-pin connector. I have two hard drives, a 40GB (C acting as a master although it is malfunctioning so I had everything put on to the second hard drive, a 80GB (D. As C: has nothing on it I figured I would take it out, this way I could give my GPU its own rail, more power and the crashing that I experience from having the card overclocked when playing games should stop.

I took C: out, changed D:'s jumper to "master" setting and placed it in C:'s previous position. The computer would only boot so far. I could get to the BIOS where I could see that the drive was reconised. One of the options I could not change in the boot sequence was "Boot from Hard Drive C:" or something along the lines of that. I would need it to boot from D: would I not? I could only get it to boot properly again by changing everything back. Now im here to ask how can I get the PC to boot from D? The only way I can think of giving drive a new letter would be to partition D but that would wipe all the contents would it not?

Cheers.
did you install windows on the "d" drive? I bet it cant find any bootfiles on it.

you can probably use partition magic to partition part of that drive without destroying the data and reinstall windows on the newly created partition.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Sheesh.....go out and buy a molex splitter and just hook up your pcie card that way. You are making this way too complicated.

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/s...321&sk=MC51419

You can buy them at any puter store.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Only sounds complicated on paper. Networkgeek you were right, the bootfiles are on C but Windows is installed on D. Would a simple cut/paste of the boot files work?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

No, but if you cant get into the bios then its not windows doing it, so Youre 80gig If its a Western Digital set it to Single not master
Post back if its other brand
Geforce 5200 128mb AGP
Liteon Dvd Burner
340watt PSU
Closed Thread