PC suddenly slow, with constant HDD access- HDD fault?

Geoman37

Baseband Member
Hey everyone!
So a couple of days ago my PC booted as usual and I did some work on it for an hour or so before I opened League of Legends for the first time since the recent update. Immediately as I did, I also tried to message a friend and Skype was noticeably slow (typing lagged) and then crashed. I thought nothing of it, restarted Skype and proceeded to play a few games of lol with a Skype call. The game was quite stuttery at times, but that has been reported by many people to bedown to the resent patch. Afterwards my PC was very slow, so I decided to restart it. However, when I did the PC failed to boot- hung on 'windows starting' splash. Another restart, and it did boot, however, the HDD light was on constantly but audiably I could hear that the HDD wasn't being very active- the PC was still very slow, programs crashed and AVG asked to renter the validation code for it. Any idea if this is down to my HDD failing, or is it down to a software error? It's a 11 month old WD Blue 1TB.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was quite long; any input is appreciated!

Firstly, just in case, I'd backup any important documents/pics/files/etc. that you have saved on that drive. After you have everything backed up (to another drive, cloud storage, discs, etc.), do the following:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

Thanks for the reply :). Is this the same as right clicking on the disk, going into properties, then tools and finally error checking? I forgot to mention that it's currently doing that- I'll let you know how that goes and if it isn't the same thing then I will try what you suggested as soon as possible. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply :). Is this the same as right clicking on the disk, going into properties, then tools and finally error checking? I forgot to mention that it's currently doing that- I'll let you know how that goes and if it isn't the same thing then I will try what you suggested as soon as possible. Thanks again.

As long as you checked both boxes its the same thing.

This (and a long overdue defrag) seems to have solved the problem for now, although don't be surprised if I return to the forums with the same issue; only just done a few basic tasks. Thanks again dude! I would rep you, but apparently I need to rep different people first XD.

No problem. Was most likely due to bad sectors or some corrupted areas that chkdsk fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

OK, so whilst the above does work, it keeps coming back every now and again if the PC is cold booted (about 1 in 5 times). This concerns me, I understand all hard drives have a few bad sectors, but if its this frequent is it a faulty drive?

*Edit* Normally I can just restart the PC and it boots again like it would normally.

Last edited:
Is the number of bad sectors growing? If so..then replace the drive as it's slowly degrading.

Back
Top Bottom