PC is stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurokiX

Solid State Member
Hi, hopefully someone will have the solution to this very anoying problem.

Basically this is what happened and what's wrong:

I accidently pulled on the powersupply cable so my PC lost power and shut off ofcourse. So I plug the cable back into the PSU and turn my PC back on! However, it just remains stuck. What I mean by stuck is - all my fans and lights turn on, my graphics card turns on, I can hear my HDD make some noises. Nothing seems wrong, no burning smells either or any discoloration in anything! Now the problem is, niether the keyboard, screen or mouse seem to register. However one major noticeable feature is that everytime i turn on my PC on the daily basis, the graphics card fan spins very fast making a lot of noise for about 2 seconds then the fan slows down (so less noise) and my PC starts up normally. However now its just stuck like that, the fan doesn't slow down and nothing happens on the screen.

- This has actually happened before where it's "stuck", but I left it off for about 1 hour then it worked beautifully since then for about 5 months until now.

- Everything seems to have power, the GPU fan is running, the CD drive can open and close, all my fans are working and lights, my HDD makes it's usual noises.

- Motherboard, could be a problem, although my mouse lights work - however my keyboard lights don't even turn on and they are both connected by USB only.

- Graphic Card - i really hope not, thats the most expensive part... fan comes on as ive said, although nothing registered on the monitor and I've tested the monitor on a different computer and it works.

If you're not sure how to do that, this is how:

Unplug your PC and press the power button
Take out the CMOS battery and press the power button again
Replace the battery and power cord, try starting the pc.

Hmm, it didn't work :(

When you said to replace the cmos did you mean buy a new one?

^no, he did not.hmm, im sure this is not it because you have not been in the system, but is the cpu power cable plugged in properly (just want to cover that). Try removing all ram dimm's, then tring a single stick in all the dimm slots and try to see if the computer will work with it in one of them.

nope, that didn't work either. Anyone have any further ideas?

I'm thinking I may have short circuted something when I pulled the power cable out accidently. Because it did not totally come out and my PC turned on again for a split second before the whole cable fell out. However, how do you check which part isn't working?

I've been doing some tests with the motherboard with the beepings.
I have the Asus P5K -

No Graphics card: loud long beep followed by 3 short beeps (in the manual it says that means no vga detected) - so i presume that is a good thing.

No Ram: no beep or anything, the manual says if there is no memory it should beep continously then be followed by 2 short beeps.

Basically - did i short circuit my motherboard... :confused:

note: i even replaced my cmos battery (luckily had a new one in the draw :D) but to no avail! Might buy a new mobo see if that works

Do you have any RAM you can put in one slot to see if anything happens? I had this happen once and it shorted the RAM and one slot. I found this by removing them and replacing one with a known good stick. Still nothing and switched to the other slot and it worked. So in short, yeah, I had shorted the mobo, but was able to save all my info using this. Then of course I got a new mobo, but I knew I needed it.

Mircale!!!

I didn't have any spare new ram sticks, but the two I had, i just swamped them and the PC booted up, i check the system spec, said i had 2GB of ram both running, which is what i originally had and everything seems to work fine.

Then out of curiosity i decided to switch them back, worked fine! I know you may be thinking it was a case of loose RAM sticks, but trust me, I took them out put them back in and cleaned slots of dust etc. about 100 times. This time it just worked.. wierd.

Kinda wierd, but thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom