PC stopped working :/ - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default PC stopped working :/

Now I know how to build things, but not to repair them. I've had a new built running for a week or two (sig) and today it just wouldn't turn on!

Tried to see if it was the light switch, by powering up the mobo with a screwdriver, didn't work. Tried disconnecting the HDD and the videocard, still nothing. Took out the memory and tried it, replaced it with other memory (that was 266mhz I think, my mobo probably doesn't support it), nothing.

This in my opinion narrows it down to three options:
- the motherboard, although the green power light is on
- the psu, although it's still giving power to the motherboard
- the cpu, although it's been working fine under good temperatures (40C stressed)

My friend didn't see the problem either, and another friend on the phone, who works with pc's ever day, couldn't know what the problem could be other than a dead mobo or cpu.

Anyone got ideas?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

If your friend works with computers everyday then get a spare mobo, PS, and cpu and try your things with them and Eliminate the problem

Geforce 5200 128mb AGP
Liteon Dvd Burner
340watt PSU
Old 12-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Well it's not a friend that I see often, it's more my friend's friend, he lives far away. I could probably get a power supply off him but probably not a C2D or a C2D compatible mobo...

After doing some research, I get a stronger sense that it is the power supply and less so the cpu...

In all of the topics I could find about this problem an Asus P5B / P5W motherboard was used, or an Antec power supply, or a combination thereof. I've heard a friend say that some Asus boards have old bios versions that are having trouble with supporting C2D. Which I find strange in my case. I can't update the BIOS though since I'm getting no output at all, I don't get any sign of life from the motherboard apart from the power led.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Bump.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

I would say it is the processor, or as u said the bios version having trouble with the processor, But I would say the processor,
Though there is a chance that it is the psu, cause it might not be giving enough power out
Geforce 5200 128mb AGP
Liteon Dvd Burner
340watt PSU
Closed Thread