PC Startup Issues (looking for ideas) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default PC Startup Issues (looking for ideas)

I've got an older HP that has been a bit of a workhorse for me. Once I get it up and running, it'll run for months without fail.

Problem is whenever it looses power for whatever reason it's a pain in the *** to get started back up.

I start it up and I it doesn't get past the POST. (no beep)

I do not hear the HD's start to spin up. (I could, they are old and loud) Nor does the monitor click on from standby.

If I let it sit for a while, it will eventually start back up.

I've gotten to think if it isn't maybe a heat-related issue. I haven't looked into it just yet. The airflow in the PC isn't the best.

Or I was wondering if it wasn't a power supply issue. There's 3HD's, 1 CDROM and a floppy as well as all the usual crap in there running off a 160W power supply. Only thing with this is that its also had the same issue when I unplug all but the CD and floppy. (live CD boot)

Any ideas?

the cake is a lie
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Its your power supply, get a new one.

Windows 2000 Server
Windows XP Corp. Pro.
nVIDIA Geforce 6200a 512MB
Old 08-04-2006, 03:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Sounds like a power supply failure to me as well, I've seen a lot of older HPs come in for repair with similar issues. In the off chance that this isn't your power supply I'd blame the mobo, but I am quite certain that it's your ps. You'll want to buy a new one. Make sure you find one that can fit your HP case (unless you like modding) as they are often an odd shape.You'll need one suited for that specifc model if that's the case (Google it)
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks. I'll update if I decide to salvage the machine or if I just use it for parts.

the cake is a lie
Old 08-04-2006, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie

...Maybe you could try clearing the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for about a minute then placing it back, and shifting the BIOS clearing jumper on the motherboard and placing it back (if there is one).

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
G33K P0W3R!!!!

Location: HickTown, California (hesperia), and West Hollywood

yea i (had) an older hp as well. pavilion 7940, limited edition, 1.3 ghz p3, 133 mhz fsb 512mb ram, 2 40gb hd's 1 80 gb hd, a 3dfuzion mx4000(got more power than a fx 5500) realtek 10/100 lan card, usb 2.0 card and a dvd burner, all off of the stock 180 ps, but it couldnt take it, so i upgraded to a 350 athena and its smaller, quieter, and cooler, plus got more airflow, and got the extra power...system used to crash until i got it....

o, also, get a new cmos battery, thattl fix alot too
Need a HDTV? Come find me at BestBuy #108 in Victorville XD
:D-----v Just pwnt my cpu, 900mhz OC v-----:D
Old 08-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alvin.C
...Maybe you could try clearing the BIOS by removing the battery on the motherboard for about a minute then placing it back, and shifting the BIOS clearing jumper on the motherboard and placing it back (if there is one).
Didn't think of that, wouldn't hurt to clear the cmos and maybe replace the battery (they're like $3).