PC shutting down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coraganda

Beta member
My PC is shutting down before it boots up. The closest I got is the Windows 2000 logo. I pulled and reinstalled the connected devices one at a time. I used another video card and switched the RAM. I changed the power supply and clear the CMOS. Same thing. It makes a short beep every now and then during the various stages. My son said it always does that so I do not think they are error beeps. Nothing new was installed.

It allows me to access the BIOS though. But the moment I exit the BIOS screen, it will shut down. It also boots up using a DOS floppy but when I inserted the BIOS update floppy, it shuts down. Seems won't execute a particular process or stage. Is this sign of bad processor?

It won't do anything again if I press the power button immediately after it shuts down. I have the pull the power plug first. Sort of resetting something. Is this sign of PS problem? Some guy told me that I may have busted the new power supply if there is some shorts in the Mobo. But I wonder why it is able to access the BIOS screen and/or boot to DOS.

MSI KT6V, AMIBIOS 3.3a, Athlon XP 1700Mhz, ATI video card, 250 GB, 1GB DDR,

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps your CPU has died, yes. Or, hopefully, it could be a dead CPU and/or case fan that is causing your comp to shut down via some anti-overheating BIOS function. Unlikely, but possible.

You say you swapped out the PSU? Try a third if you can, and make sure all the power cables are properly inserted.

Check your graphics card too, could have died/is dieing and is stopping your system from POSTing.

ya check your cpu heatsink/fan: make sure it is secure and the fan is working. My buddy just took in his computer doing the exact same thing and his heatsink was somehow on wrong; overheating the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom