PC Shuts OFF @ load for games

RossNews

Baseband Member
As soon as almost ANY game loads and the visuals come up aka; league of legends loading screen finishes and the visual game comes up; WoW process loading bar completes and you see your character; GTA load screen completes and you see Niko... the computer SHUTS DOWN.

It doesn't restart, it shuts down. Prompting me to remove the powercord or the power button on the back for 10 seconds for the PSU to de-power.

I have checked the event viewer and have found the following errors:

Critical: EVENT ID 41 / Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The temps are all under 50C, fans properly working.

The only thing that it could theoretically be is the power supply which is 8 years old and has a lifetime of 80,000 hours. I recon it has served me at least half of that.

Besides that I really don't know what is going on.

Suggestions?

EDIT: MY PC SPECS ARE:
AMD x955 @ 3.2GHz
Gigatbyte mobo AM3+
12 GIG RAM
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
DVD-RW
GTX 560 2 GB version
500Watt PSU ANTEC (SMART POWER 2.0) (8-9 years old) But worked just fine for last 6 month)

Last edited:
Antec's were notorious for bad capacitors at that time frame (2004-2005), Try a new quality brand power supply like Seasonic

Critical: EVENT ID 41 / Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
The temps are all under 50C, fans properly working.
The only thing that it could theoretically be is the power supply which is 8 years old and has a lifetime of 80,000 hours. I recon it has served me at least half of that.

Besides that I really don't know what is going on.

Suggestions?

EDIT: MY PC SPECS ARE:
AMD x955 @ 3.2GHz
Gigatbyte mobo AM3+
12 GIG RAM
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
DVD-RW
GTX 560 2 GB version
500Watt PSU ANTEC (SMART POWER 2.0) (8-9 years old) But worked just fine for last 6 month)

If your psu is that old it must have served you quite well.
The warrenty for it maybe expired but go ahead and get another one.

Antec BP550 Plus ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

CORSAIR CX600M 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com
I know joe recommends seasonic, but I don't agree fully with him.

Either PSU would work best for your setup you got currently.

We can agree to disagree Mike....but Seasonic makes some the Antec power supplies. But for price the Antec and Corsair's are good quality psu's too. PC Power & Cooling also is another quality manufacture

We can agree to disagree Mike....but Seasonic makes some the Antec power supplies. But for price the Antec and Corsair's are good quality psu's too. PC Power & Cooling also is another quality manufacture

I already knew seasonic works for antec off and on, to me that doesn't seem like a wise idea. :|
i rather antec learn from its mistakes and make its own parts whihc it has done down the road.
I've had a seasonic twice in the past and it wasn't all glorious when one of them blew within a 2 month time frame. :\

But yeah either antec corsair or any other brand product with good rep I'm willing to stick with especially if the rma service is A+ on my standards.

I've never heard of a bad review from anything Seasonic, plus Seasonic offers some of the better warranties on their products, 5yrs compared to Antec's 3 yrs. PC Power & Cooling offers 5 yrs also. That should say something about what the manufacture's think about their products

I had several of these older (2003 through 2005) antec power supplies...and every one of them had the same bad cap problem
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293225-28-antec-smartpower-truepower-warning

Edit: I've had a couple of the Corsair CX430's fail after a few months ( I'd say about two out of 20) and Corsair handled the rma very well, I think no matter who makes a product, you'll get some lemons. Some just have fewer lemons than others

Last edited:
Thx for the input.

So I gather the consensus is its the PSU?

Say in the future I get one of the new GTX700 series video cards, will this 600 Watt PSU be enough?

I really am trying to keep it on a budget, but at the same time I wouldn't mind future proofing because I know that I'll be getting a new system in a year or so.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that MODULAR PSU is a MUST for me because I keep my PC in a acrylic case and a clean presentation is expected.

Last edited:
Thx for the input.
Say in the future I get one of the new GTX700 series video cards, will this 600 Watt PSU be enough?
I really am trying to keep it on a budget, but at the same time I wouldn't mind future proofing because I know that I'll be getting a new system in a year or so.

Stick with the psu of 650 or go for a 700 watt of either brand.
If you plan on upgrading your system in 2013 I make plans on getting the board fisrt.

@Joec: maybe man, but why don't you call em and say your psu busted by accident.
Its not your fault and they make the assumption its you anyway.
Even if you stick the photos underneath their noses they still avoid giving you service without the 3 1/2 hour phone service drama. :|
Like I said its 2 ways a company looks good, mainly I look at the support after the purchase.
Tech support isn't all that grand these days Joe. :/

The last few times I did have to rma, once for AMD and a couple for Corsair, and a couple through Seagate.....I did it all on line, followed the recommended procedures and within a week or two it was good. It's true that some places are much quicker than others.

If you do not follow their recommended procedures for processing an rma to the letter....then you can get into problems. Not once did I need to make any phone calls for an rma

Last edited:
The last few times I did have to rma, once for AMD and a couple for Corsair, and a couple through Seagate.....I did it all on line, followed the recommended procedures and within a week or two it was good. It's true that some places are much quicker than others.

If you do not follow their recommended procedures for processing an rma to the letter....then you can get into problems. Not once did I need to make any phone calls for an rma

Lol funny you say that and you and I can do everything by the books.
My point is its stupid tech tier 1 or tier 2 people who don't want to help or work.
I play by the rules but during the past 5 years I've nearly gotten screwed because they are either not wanting to answer or make it look like my fault.
Sometimes It takes the lead tech to look at the issue and side with me after I described the problem in detail and see the call logs back and forth if any.

Regular folks you see on here or any where else building or buying new systems.
They don't wan't to be dealing with that for nearly a day or week of phone calls.

Later Joe. :)

Back
Top Bottom