PC Shuts Down Minutes After Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zythyl

In Runtime
after installing a new soundcard, PSU and GPU my comp was fine for a few hours... then i decided to install some audio utilities included with my soundcard and that's when it started. i was able to log onto my computer after the generic restart after install thing, then suddenly it shuts down.

i uninstalled my gpu and soundcard from the drivers thing and everything is fine... so i install again step by step to find the problem. i installed the x-fi drivers but in the middle of the installation my comp shuts down... now it wont even get into the user log in screen without the power switching off... what the buggery is going on? :eek:

EDIT III:
looks like the only way to boot without a shut down is through safe mode... argh whats going on

is there a way to reformat without having to boot system disc? because when i boot from cd-rom the pc shuts down... if i reformat maybe it'll fix the issue.

Have you bothered to remove your old set of drivers for the sound card and GPU?

Please stop multiposting. There is a Edit button that can be used for upto 24 hours. Please use it.

This sounds a familiar problem to me. Can you tell me GRaphics and SOund card you have ? Al;so, what OS.

I have had this problem a few times whereby sound cards, particularly SB's latest cards seem to conflict with a few graphics cars, taking the same board resrouces. This then causes unexpected shut downs.

currently reformatting after removal of all hawrdware except PSU.

will add problems here if anything occurs, resolved for the time being.

If you changed the mobo and CPU that would be your issue right there. You can not use a hard drive with Windows already installed on it on a new system. the hardware profile will be different and that will cause you nothing but problems.

You never mentioned that you had replaced those parts as well. I would have told you to do a repair install of XP or to format and reinstall Vista as that would be the only way to fix the issue.

narrowed it down to driver conflict/power.

when i insert my old 8800 ir doesnt shut down...

i will install the gtx260 after windows updates... check back here soon

EDIT:
still shutting down. must be power. but it's a 750W toughpower powering a gtx260, 4gb ram @800mhz, e6850 not oc'ed, x-fi pro xtremegamer sound card, and a G-P35-S3

That PSU might seem like it has enough power but doesit have enough 12V rails and enough power in those?

Maybe another component is drawing to much power which is causing the system to fail when you use the 260?

I was thinking that... maybe the sound card... but that can't be right... hmm still looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom