PC shuts down before boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

flathexagon

Beta member
I've been having trouble getting my PC to boot with brand new parts and can not figure out why.
This is what I have been experiencing. After everything is installed and making sure everything is hooked up correctly ie standoffs ram gpu cpu heatsink/ fan and drives, I turn the power on the lights and fans start spinning, then suddenly all power shuts off. However the light on the motherboard remains green.
Whats even more confusing is that on a couple of occasions the system actually started to boot. Sometimes it only made it to the first screen and once it made it passed the initial boot screen, but then it died once again.
One thing I noted on one of the boots it said 256mb of RAM which is obviously wrong being that there are 2 1gig ram cards in. I have tried using one at a time to possibly isolate the ram and see if one or the other is bad. I encounter the same problem all times. I also have checked it's compatibility with my mother board and have found the another user has the same ram and motherboard and he's quoted as saying it works " flawlessly "

Here is a list of the parts.
Foxconn 8500GT-256 GeForce 8500GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane 2.5GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO4800DDBOX - Retail
Open Box: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P800R22GK - Retail
Antec 650w 24 pin power supply

All of the below are from a previous computer and all worked fine

80 gig ide harddrive
80 sata hard drive
rosewill dvd burner
lite on cd drive
case I forget what it is

I can't for the life of me figure out the problem. This is not the first computer I have assembled either and this being my personal one it has become even more frustrating. Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom