Pc shutdown unexpectedly, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_san

Solid State Member
My computer would freeze or shut the restart unexpectedly, this happened after I took out the PSU to check the fan, cause it was heating up a little more than usual.

After I put it back in, and window says it detected a change in the hardware and asked to run the repair tool, then it showed a list of thing that it deleted.

I installed ubuntu 9.04 and it restart there too but whenever I try to convert video it would restart in less than a min in vista and ubuntu, but I was able to watch wmv files for about 1 hour and no restarts, rmvb file work too I watch a film that was 2 hours long.

With avi it restarts at about 10-15 mins and mkv under 5 mins

in vista wmv and rmvb files restarts in random times, but avi and mkv is the same us ubuntu.

I run prime95 in vista, the first time I was able to run it for 15 min then it froze, I tried it 4 more time but they all froze in less than a min

I check the psu's voltages with speedfan

Vcore1 : 128v
Vcore2 : 3.02v
+3.3v : 3.33v
+5v : 5.11v
+12v : Fluctuates min that I have seen is 5.25
-12v : -1.75v
-5v : -4.15v
+5v : 5.11v
vbat : 3.17v

and at temp 2 shows 127c,
is this an error, and which part could this be?

With CPUID hardware monitor everything is the same except the

-12v shows min = -11.90v max = 11.71v
+ 12 show min = 4.22v max shows 13.63
And there was no hardware that has 127c everything was normal
in the bios the +12v is 11.77v

I tried out a old psu that came with the prebuilt pc and the voltages are the same. I reinstall vista on a new hdd but it still the same.

is this all the psu's fault, or is it the motherboard or cpu is damaged, is there a way to make sure which is causing the problem?

thanks

that temp is off the charts! you're having an overheating problem...download a program called Real Temp and post the results here....what i think is happening is that you're CPU is overheating and triggering the auto shutdown to keep it from frying.

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

when it's under 10% load the temp is 53c

I tried the prime95 in place large FFTs(maximum heat, power consuption, some RAM tested) test

the temp at 95% load is 65c

and the Tjmax is 90c

okay phew man that's hot. The max load temp for that CPU is 61c........check your heat sink and fan for dust and make sure the fan is spinning and is seated properly.
It's the overheating that is causing the problem for sure, you have to bring those temps down

ok thanks for the help

I was watching a video for 20 mins and monitering the temp and it was at a constant 53, but when changed to another one the temp is still the same but after only 3 mins it restarted, so atwhat temp should I keep it under for it to be ok.

thanks

with an ambient temp (room temp) of around 75f it should idle (no load) around 25-30c for a stock cooler.....it's definitely too high

I just cleaner the dust in the heatsink and fan and the temp drop by 5c

I tried out the same prime test again, it run for 25 mins then it restarted, I tried to convert a video it froze in less than a min.

the cpu been over heating for over a week now, would that have damage the cpu.

thanks for the help

i doubt it's damaged the CPU much if any at all. You might look into getting a new heat sink fan...or taking the one you have off and cleaning as much as you can of the dust out of it. Also, check case ventilation. Make sure you are getting enough air pushed through the case to bring in new cool air

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom