PC Shut OFF! Please Help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PC Shut OFF! Please Help!

Hi everyone!

OK here's the story.. I built a PC last year and since then I had to change the PSU 3 times. Just last week, I was playing a game and all of a sudden my PC shuts off and smoke comes out (lil bit) and it stinks badly.. my PSU stank and burned. I got another one (this time a 450W.. the old ones were 400 and made for p3s the guy at the store said) and everything was working fine until I tried burning a dvd and as soon as it starts the pc shut off again.. now i tried reinstalling windows thinking it's software related and i had problems installing xp cauz it would shut off all the time..after a while i got it to install... i switched my ram sims and both same problem.. shut off once in a while.. so not my ram i guess.. everytime i try to burn a dvd it shuts off.. i unplugged my dvd burner and now everything seems stable...i'm thinking the mobo or the dvd burner that's making my pc shut off... what do u guys think?

here's my stuff:

P4 prescot 3.0 ghz 800mhz
Asus P8S800
1 Gig RAM pc3200
Nvidia 6800GT
2 Maxtors (1 IDE and 1 SATA)
Lg DVD Burner
SB Live
PSU 450W Okia (cheap brand name but works fine supposedly)
that's it

Old 10-02-2005, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh and btw, the reason why my PSUs were burning b4 was because i wasn't using a power bar with surge protection..
Closed Thread