PC running ten external drives issue (cleansing farm)

psydesign123

Solid State Member
Hi Guys

so at work we need to do a D0D format of old hdd`s before they get tossed.
we have bought 5x dual external hdd usb 3.0 docks
and two pcie usb 3.0 two port cards.
all plugged into a hp elite 8300 i5 8gb pc (speed is not a requirement)
from my under standing the 8300 has a 240w power supply.

so our current issue is we can only plug one of the docks into each pcie card at a time (pc also has 4 usb slots and we want to spread the load)

if i plug one dock into each of the pcie cards and onboard usb 3 it will read the hdds
however if i plug in two docks one in each port on the pcie card the pc acts as if no hdd has been plugged in on that card. both pcie card have Sata power plugged in.anks

am i correct in thinking that the psu is just not strong enough to power 4 hdd`s on two usb ports?

also if i have one port on each pcie card occupied and plug a dock into the onboard usb 3.0 port it says this drive is not running at full speed a usb 3.0 slot would be better ( which it is in)

on monday i will be trying the setup in a HP z420 pc.

any tips or advise would be appreciated.

Reason for using the pcie cards and onboard usb 3.0 ports for 5 docks is to "spread the load"

Thanks

hmm now that i think about it i wonder if i just need to go into disk management and initialize the drives although that would explain if i spread the load of the hdds then it sees both if on separate ports

Hi Joe thanks for the reply.
yip thought of that already and the software we will be using will be Kill disk as it provides a report and also does multiple hdds.

proble is the boss wants to use the docks and doesnt want the pc left open for safety reason as of course this will be left to run over night and cleaning staff ect.

do you think the issue with the above config would be caused by the power supply?
wish i had all the kit with me now (weekend already) as i enjoy this type of trouble shooting lol

I'll admit a 240W power supply sounds wimpy for what your attempting to do but the board itself might not be able to provide that much power through the all the available usb ports. Are these docks self powered or are they drawing power from the usb port? If so, then a powered usb hub might be a cheap alternative.

Back
Top Bottom