PC Restarts when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiranmanu

Beta member
Hello,

I am having a problem here. I can stay on the computer for hours and hours and hours without any kinds of problems, whether it be downloading, browsing the net.

The problem happens when I begin to play any game. I play it for a few minutes and then the PC automatically restarts itself. I have never had this kind of problem in the past.

I have a Intel Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz, Corsair 2GB RAM with the builtin cooling casing, 2 HDD's mounted in the same slot with a fan blowing in right through them (HDD's never get hot they are always cool to the touch even after 24hrs of being on, BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC, no brand name power supply thats been on for about 1 year which is 650 watts, 5 case fans, and I'm also running XP Pro.

I have checked my CPU and Graphics temperatures and they are running normal. The CPU is running at around 35-38 Celsius at Idle while the graphics card is running at 67-72 Celsius at idle.

I also have uninstalled and installed the Nvidia driver, current one. Also looked in the BIOS and everything is looking good in there.

I am not sure what is causing this problem, if anybody has some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Hiranmanu

Have you checked your PSU rails? Either in the BIOS or using Speed Fan.

With the numerous unistalls and reinstall of drivers and such, I would recommend that you use CCleaner to remove any incorrect registry files. Some more ideas are to run an anti virus, and spyware cleaner and make sure it not that which is causing your reboots. Have you looked for any recent motherboard drivers? Drivers for the chipsets and any on board devices that you are use?

Hopefully something helps.

Have you checked your PSU rails? Either in the BIOS or using Speed Fan.

checking via the BIOS or software really doesn't help much. check out the guide in this forum for using a multimeter to check the rails. with what you have described there are two probable causes: overheating and power. more often it would be a heat issue with the graphics card though it can be the cpu. i say the best way to try and rule out power as an issue is to use something like prime95 or orthos to stress the pc. if it doesn't crash during that then power can probably be ruled out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom