PC restarts instead of reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

sodapopinski

Beta member
Well, the topic says a lot, but not everything. I don't believe this is a windows problem, as the same thing happens when I try to shut down while using Ubuntu.

Basically, the PC powers down, acts like it's going to automatically shut down (it actually cycles off for a split millisecond), than fires back up again. Even if I push the power button, it does this.

In windows, I've turned off the automatically restart on system failure, so I don't think that's it. But, again, I get the same problem when using Linux as well, so I beleive it's a hardware issue.

Further, my mobo bios is up to date! A7N8X-Delux mobo.

Hmmmm... Any ideas? Oh, and no, I havn't recently added new hardware to my system.

Well, i'm not sure what I should be checking in the power options... but nothing looks unusual there.

I have same problem guys.
My computer do now shows anything for a minute after it reboots automatically.

Restart is the same as reboot...just for future referance.

I would say the problem lies within the motherboard, or the powersupply.

Although, it may possibly be your chassis wireing that is causing the problem. It's far-fetched, but worth a look.

Yeah, I've been pouring over the internet, and I'm beginning to think it's the power supply. I'm going to swap it out for one from work tomorrow and see what happens. Oh, and it seems if you search for "reboot" you get mostly windows related problems. Searching for "power down" returns more hardware, mobo, and bios possibilities. Makes sense i guess. Oh well... we will see what happens tomorrow.

Oh, and yeah... the topic was supposed to read PC reboots instead of shuts down. lol. Oh well.

sodapopinski said:
Yeah, I've been pouring over the internet, and I'm beginning to think it's the power supply. I'm going to swap it out for one from work tomorrow and see what happens. Oh, and it seems if you search for "reboot" you get mostly windows related problems. Searching for "power down" returns more hardware, mobo, and bios possibilities. Makes sense i guess. Oh well... we will see what happens tomorrow.

Oh, and yeah... the topic was supposed to read PC reboots instead of shuts down. lol. Oh well.

Make sure that powersupply you borrow is of ample strength. Usually, work computers are some slow, cost effiecient piece of crap. In which case, it will (probally) have a small powersupply (wattage-wise).

And the winner is Power Supply!

Well, thanks for your help. The power supply I put in from work fixed the problem. (It's a 600 watter by the way... built my work PC myself - lol)

Well, Newegg here I come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom