PC resetting. Could be hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mendriel

Baseband Member
Thanks for the look.

A while back I had some issues with my new build as seen here:
Maximus Formula Issues - Overclockers Forums

I also called ASUS and the tech seemed to think the PSU was my problem. This is what I have now:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Power Supplies

I got the computer to where it was stable, but every 4 or 5 startups, it would hang while booting requiring a hard restart. I lived with it like that for a few months, but now I get issues when I am running graphic intensive programs. Usually I get an error message along the lines of being unable to read a file.

The HDD was switched out as I thought initially that was the issue.

I have since updated my mobo BIOS and GPU drivers and restored default BIOS settings.

As far as I can tell now my issue lies within the mobo, RAM or CPU. Unfortunately no utilities can identify any issues. My plan over the course of the next few months is to start swapping out components.

Thanks again for your time.

Andy

Re: Probably not my problem, but...

Hello,

Test the RAM first. Run MemTest86.

Memtest86 - Download Page

Download the ISO and burn it with ImgBurn.

Burning ISO Images with ImgBurn - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Let it run for about 4 hours to see if it comes up with any errors. Thta will tell you if the RAM is good or not. From there we can run some CPU tests to see if that is the problem.

PS Split this topic and moved it to hardware troubleshooting. Since this is now related to that and closed out the HiJack thread since it isnt spyware.

Cheers,
Mak

Morning Mak,

I ran Memtest through the night and apparently had no errors. Screen is below. I let it run with the default settings.

/R,
Andy

memtest.jpg

Hello Andy,

Okay so it is not the RAM. Now lets do this. try stress testing the CPU.

.StressLinux.org. - .System.High.Load.Test.

Click on the downloads and get the ISO and burn it the same way you burnt MemTest86. Then boot with the CD in the tray and follow the steps to stress test your CPU to see if that is the issue.

Cheers,
Mak

This morning I ran Orthos for almost 4 and a half hours (small FFTs) without any issues. I ran FEAR for about an hour (with Orthos running in the background), but had no issues. Tried WoW and got the following errors:

wow%20error.jpg

and

wow%20error2.jpg

The text from the latter can be read here:
http://members.cox.net/mendriel/wow error.txt

Concurrently I burned the System High Load Test as you recommended and am going to start it momentarily.

When I ran the first option in the test I ended up at this screen:

Computer.jpg

Sorry it's a little blurry.

When I used the second option I eventually ended up with a similar message:
"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)"

In both cases the cursor stops blinking and the screen remains unchanged.

It's Greek to me, but doesn't look good.

I've never used that program you booted off, but from the gist of it, looks like maybe there is a problem reading or detecting the hard drive. Just a guess, having never seen such errors.

I would try some hard drive diagnostic tests. Check the S.M.A.R.T. data. You said you just replaced your hard drive, but to me, it looks like it is a hard drive issue, or stemming from that. Could possibly be a bad SATA controller on the motherboard. Do you happen to have a SATA card you can use? If not, they're dirt cheap... might be worth trying.

I have Hard Drive Fitness Test...will that check the S.M.A.R.T. data that you mentioned?

I don't have a SATA card, but judging by the amount of space the video card (& heat sink) combined with sound card use it might be tough to add one in. I suppose if I am just going to use it for diagnostics I can pull the sound card. Are there typically any problems booting to a master HDD on a SATA card as compared to an onboard SATA port?

Not to hijack the thread if anything but i keep getting pc reset by a bsod right b4 vista boot and i ran memtest86 and it says like 50000 errors what does this mean?

Not to hijack the thread if anything but i keep getting pc reset by a bsod right b4 vista boot and i ran memtest86 and it says like 50000 errors what does this mean?

That means your RAM is bad and you have to replace it. Contact the manufacturer and see if they'll replace it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom