PC Powers up, turns off and then powers on... nothing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
Well I replaced my Q9300 with a P4 that I know is working (it was it my server PC) and yet when I turn on the PC it turns on, for a second or so then turns off and turns back on with nothing... the activity LEDs on my Ram do not light up... whats going on?

Well I replaced my Q9300 with a P4 that I know is working (it was it my server PC) and yet when I turn on the PC it turns on, for a second or so then turns off and turns back on with nothing... the activity LEDs on my Ram do not light up... whats going on?

What are the power ratings ? Comparable to the Q9300 ? I am thinking it is a voltage difference issue.

well after it turns on for the secod time, I don't get anything... nothing on the screen, no activity on the RAM etc.

I am just wondering if the P4 is trying to use more juice (wattage-speaking) than the system wants to give it, to put it in non-technical words.

than a Q9300!? Well it came from a stock HP system with like a 350 watt PSU... my 600 watt silverstone should provide more than enough watts and amps on the 12v rail

the stock voltage of a q9300 is like around 1.2V
the stock voltage of a P4 (northwood) is somewhere around 1.5V

try raising your cpu vcore to 1.45-1.5 and see if it will start up.

The change in CPU's should not make a difference, although resetting the CMOS might help (check your MB manual)

This sounds like a classic RAM issue.

I would remove all the RAM and start the computer without the RAM. The motherboard should beep like crazy (if you have a speaker connected to the Motherboard). This would indiacte everything is OK except the RAM.

Then replace one stick of RAM at a time and see what happens.

If this is not the case then your PSU or MB may be faulty. Also check the MB site to make certain that your P4 is 100% compayible with your board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom