PC Powers up then shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

plane83

Beta member
This sounds similar to my problem guys.

my computer just turns on for .5 to 1 sec (all 4 fans, lights, cd drive)
then switches off, this happens two to 3 times. then nothing but the front lights stay on.

only unlike the other posts here, my computer has been working fine for 6 months since i last opened the case, i havn't changed anything! it was turned on fine yesterday, then just died mid game (My partner was furious, she was the one using it for a change) now it's my task to fix.

here's the specs
foxconn motherboard running a pentium d 3.0ghz cpu, 3gb ddr2 ram, samsung 1tb sata hdd, gforce 8400gs

i tried unplugging the 2 extra fans, the hdd and dvd and resetting the bios too, tried removing the ram one piece at a time, nothing worked.

i'm thinking psu.

please help!!

Re: PC Powers up, turns off and then powers on... nothing?

Hey plane83, good to see you here. Welcome to the forums!

Might be a good idea to start a new thread about your problem, you'll probably get a better response. That's not to say you won't get help in this thread, just that a new thread will get more exposure... :)

Sounds like your motherboard to me. I recently had this exact problem and my tower would fire up lights, fans, rpm meter on front, HD click and sometimes a mobo beep or two. And it would just do that for a split second and die, no matter how many times I tried it. So I would think that would be your problem. You could always get a voltage meter and check the PSU if that would ease your worries of that.

i really hope it's not the motherboard already.

just before it died i noticed the PSU fan was gritty and was jamming, especially if it was turned off fully, i was going to replace the PSU anyway, so i'll try that first.

thanks for the advice tho, i wasn't sure if it was the sam problem as i havn't had the case open for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom