PC powers on for a second

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristo33

Solid State Member
This is my first PC build and I am having an issue. The PC will only power on for like a half of a second. Also to even get that half of a second I have to turn the power supply switch off for a minute, then turn it back on, then press the power button on the front panel once, then nothing happens, then press the power button for a second time and right when I let go it does it's half second power up. Then I try the power button again several times and it does nothing. I have to repeat those steps to get the carnival ride to light up again for a half of a second. At first I was having a problem with no power at all and discovered I had the CMOS jumper on the wrong setting :confused: "rookie mistake." After discovering this I had already taken the motherboard out of the case with just the DDR, CPU, and CPU fan attached. I went ahead and shorted the power switch pins and it did it's half of a second power on routine. So I went ahead and assembled everything, thinking that everything needed to be attached and it did the same half a second power routine. I live in the U.S. and have the voltage set to 115. I did the power supply test where you take the paper clip and short the green pin with the black pin and the power supply came on and stayed on. A few things I noticed is that it is a 420 Watt power supply and theres a big sticker that says for Pentium 4, but I have a Pentium 3. I'm 99% sure 420 is enough because I don't have any hardware that needs a lot of power "not going to be used for gaming." I have a SATA 80 Gig hard drive and I noticed the cable that goes from the SATA 1 port on the motherboard, into the hard drive has a connector that doesn't fit that tightly on the hard drive port, but it's not like it's falling off it just barely looks like it's not flush. I am going to replace it anyways, but I know I can't get that lucky so if someone could atleast steer me in the right direction so I can start putting together a back up plan, would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time and don't forget mothers day is sunday.

Pentium 4 power supplies are sh** they dont last long, last one i had left burned marks in my motherboard due to a short. Never buy those brands just because they are cheap and unreliable.
300W is the minimum for a standard PC to function properly, so ur fine with that .
Try a different Power Supply because to me it sounds dead, even tho it power on with the paper clip trick it can still be dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom