PC off for a few months, now will not power on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlagreca

Solid State Member
Hey everyone, here's my situation:

I've been away at college, and did not bring my desktop PC with me since I have a laptop. I came home on spring break, and the desktop worked fine. However now, almost 2 months later, the PC will not power on. One bad on my part was that when I left back for college after being home in march, I left my PC plugged into my battery backup which was plugged into the wall outlet. It has surge protection, and was powered off, but I don't know if that could possibly stop everything thrown at it. My main concern right now is that it did get surged and the motherboard or the processor is fried.

I've spent the last hour toying with the power switch pins, using switches from other cases, but no luck. It's definitely not the switch. Also, my power supply recognizes when its plugged in, as the LED inside the on/off switch will glow when it's plugged in. I unfortunately don't have any older machines to test the PS out for sure.

I'm in quite the pickle here... do any of you guys or gals have any suggestions for me? I'm low on cash (just got my summer job), so buying parts to test things is sort-of out of the question for a few weeks, hehe.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Are you going straight to the wall or still trying to go thru the backup? Does it have any fuses you can check and change?

The backup still gives power. Just tried running my TV off of it and it was fine. When I was troubleshooting the PC, I was connected directly to the wall.

I'm pretty stumped right now. My parents were not aware of any surge while I had been gone. Plus my PC does have the best protection from one in our house.

As of right now I'm going to leave it plugged in and see if something magical happens...

I brought my power supply to geek squad since I don't have a tester, and it's completely busted. I'm not sure why, but at least the problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom