Pc not fully booting/powering - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2008, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Pc not fully booting/powering

So I recent shipped my old gaming rig to my cousin in italy (he's in the navy). And today he finally got the pc and went to power everything up and it only half way powers up. Fans all spin up and he gets one of the 3 dvd drives to power up. But nothing else happens, no video signal in any of the 4 dvi ports (I have 2 eVGA 7800GTX's in sli mode). I'm thinking that in the process of shipping the CPU was damaged. Its a AMD X2 4400 socket 939 with a thermaltake big typhoon heat sink on it. Now anyone who's seen or used a big typhoon knows its a hoss which isn't very stable.

Do you guys think that all the bumping and moving around of the case in the packaging could have caused that big heat sink to break the processor? Think it could just need to be re-seated?? I had him try tons of different things, yes they are on 110V... so no need to switch the PSU to 220... Had him try re-seating all the ram into different slots all with the same affect... not all of the drives seem like they are getting power?? and it continues to have no video signal on it.

The power supply is a PC Power and Cooling 510W turbo cool. Motherboard is Asus A8N32-SLI, ram is 4x 512MB sticks of OCZ. Any other ideas? suggestions? I'd appreciate it.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Pc not fully booting/powering

Did he check the interior of the PC to make sure that all the cards and ram were still seated? Did he check to make sure that the CPU and heat sink were still attached? It would have been advised to either remove all those poart from the inside or to put some foam or something in there to ship overseas like that. That is a lot of bumping and shaking for a PC. I would ont doubt that something happened to the CPU.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Pc not fully booting/powering

I put foam packing inside the computer around the heat sink to help keep it steady. That particular heat sink screws into plates under the motherboard so I know it didn't come undone. I did have him re-seat the ram so its not that. I just think there is some physical damage to the processor. Tomorrow I'm having him flip the PSU switch to 220v and then trying it on his 220v outlet to see if that has any affect.
Closed Thread