PC Not booting after storm - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: PC Not booting after storm

It could be the video card shorting the system out. But if the storm fried it I'm wondering what else is damaged since the card has no direct contact to the power lines.

This is a great price for this power supply
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Well all these components have one connection in common, directly or indirectly - the motherboard. Maybe it could have indirectly zapped the video card from a surge to the motherboard (via the PSU) and throughout the circuits on the mobo and then to the video card. Not sure it thats possible even. Why wouldn't it be ?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Actually that's what I've been trying to prepare him for. If it's done that I'm betting he has multiple problems.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Yes and your response to him was spot on with troubleshooting IMO. I hope it isn't anything serious for his sake. *fingers crossed*
Old 07-18-2009, 07:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all your replies, I've phoned my house insurance company and they are going to sort it out, just stuck using my crappy old lap top in the mean time......

It's hard to say what it is because the constant beep error only makes that noise when i have the power from the psu to my gfx card unplugged. If i take out the gfx card and boot up i still get no error beeps. When i boot with no ram connected i get no error beeps. I've not even tried removing the CPU.

Closed Thread