PC makes whining noise depending on current screen

never had or even heard of a coil whine from a graphics card before....I suppose anything is possible and if stressing the card defines the whine noise...great!

Edit: Just checked and found that motherboards can produce a coil whine too

Last edited:
Open up and put your ear near the case, while the program is running... a fairly good ear can tell where the noise is coming from. If your PSU is mounted up top, then you should be able to tell where the whine is originating from top or bottom of the case.

But surely if it's the PSU then a GPU stress test will cause it to draw more power and so you'll hear the whining whether it's the PSU or the GPU making it?

Sorta true. You will only be slightly taxing the psu in relation to a full draw.

With your case open you can tell if its the card or psu.

Playing games means multiiple items are being used, and I lijke to run 1 definate process to eliminate.
After furmark, you'd the run prime95 or like cpu stresser to check mobo caps..

never had or even heard of a coil whine from a graphics card before....I suppose anything is possible and if stressing the card defines the whine noise...great!

Edit: Just checked and found that motherboards can produce a coil whine too

Usually comes from capacitors in this case. I had a GPU (can't remember if it was my 8800GT or my GTX 285 that did it), but it would whine while under load. Pretty sure it was the GTX 285, as they were notorious for it.

Usually comes from capacitors in this case. I had a GPU (can't remember if it was my 8800GT or my GTX 285 that did it), but it would whine while under load. Pretty sure it was the GTX 285, as they were notorious for it.
\

Had it happen to me with an 8800GTX, GTX260, and a GTX460 that I got used. All of them dies within a month after it started happening.

\

Had it happen to me with an 8800GTX, GTX260, and a GTX460 that I got used. All of them dies within a month after it started happening.

My 285 actually never had any issues. It was just a known thing with them; some of them had weird caps on them that caused it or something.

So, the opinion seems to be: determine the source.

If it's the graphics card, see if it's a known problem otherwise think about inquiring about a replacement.

If it's the PSU, it's probably ok.

It might also be the motherboard in which case it's ok as well.

Does that about sum it up?

UPDATE: Having some difficulty determining the cause as I cannot hear the source because the graphics card and psu are close together (bottom mounted PSU). I have run furmark and got the GPU to '99%' activity according to AMD overdrive. However, there was no coil whine. I am not sure what this tells me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom