PC makes whining noise depending on current screen

User 11037

Solid State Member
Hi,

I recently built a PC and it has been running fine. However, recently I noticed a rather strange whining noise coming from the PC (not a fan as it's too high pitched). Obviously I have made sure that this is not the speakers by turning them off. The noise persisted.

The noise seems only to occur during games at certain points, for example while playing Dawn of War 2 the noise would occur during a mission loading screen when the loading bar was full but not while it was loading. Also during some menus in other games, and the pitch of the noise depends on which menu I am on.

Here are my system specs:

intel i5 3570k (not overclocked)
1600 MHz 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Ripsaw RAM
GA-Z77-DS3H MoBo
Radeon HD 7770 Graphics card
Corsair CX750 Builder series PSU
(I assume that disc drive/HDD/case are not relevant)

Edit: I just thought I'd mention that the noise is not overly loud, but maybe a bit distracting due to its high pitch. However, I am mostly worried that it is symptomatic of some damage to the PC.

Also, I have ruled out the monitor by switching it off - this does not affect the noise.

Last edited:
check your power supply for coil whine, Coil whine is caused from the coils vibrating inside the power supply to make a high pitch whine sound.

check your power supply for coil whine, Coil whine is caused from the coils vibrating inside the power supply to make a high pitch whine sound.

Yeah, cheers, I looked at some videos and it sounds similar. It seems that it's normal and does not indicate a problem. It's just a shame that it might be a bit irritating :neutral:

The power supply itself is a self contained piece of hardware. If it is under warranty then do not attempt to open it to check it out, you'll break a seal and void the warranty on the power supply. A lot of oem power supplies (but not all) are installed at the top rear of the case...it's that part you plug your wall cord into. Many custom build jobs (but not all) usually will have the power supply located at the bottom of the case

The power supply itself is a self contained piece of hardware. If it is under warranty then do not attempt to open it to check it out, you'll break a seal and void the warranty on the power supply. A lot of oem power supplies (but not all) are installed at the top rear of the case...it's that part you plug your wall cord into. Many custom build jobs (but not all) usually will have the power supply located at the bottom of the case

Yeah, thanks, it's mounted on the bottom. I was just wandering, if I get another CX750 then would I have the same issue?

the best way to locate the coil whine would be a process of elimination. Meaning that you would have to pop a different power supply in it to see if the whine sound is gone....same for the video card.
It's really a hit or miss on the coil whine. I have installed dozens of the same brand and wattage (Corsair's too!) and only had one with a slight whine. My hearing is not that great but my wife did not say anything while it was on. she usually mentions something if the pc is too loud or something unusual

Back
Top Bottom