PC Locks Up Under Load?

Zekester2097

In Runtime
Important Stuff:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X.
Old RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V @2400MHz.
New RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @3000MHz.
GPU: Gigabyte 1660TI 6GB.
PSU PowerSpec 80+ Bronze 750w
Mobo: MSi B450 Tomahawk

This problem had just started for me. I first noticed it, when I was playing GTAIV and such... It seemed that at some point, while under load, my tower just completely locks up on me, no blue screen, no nothing... Makes it to where I have to hard reset it, in order to regain functionality.

Somewhere, upon my searching and searching for a solution, I read a suggestion saying to try running Prime95... I went 'eh, why not', thinking everything would run smoothly, as it usually does... I was dead wrong... Lasted 10 seconds, then it immediately froze up.

At first, I was thinking it was possibly the RAM that might've been causing the issue, as I had just upgraded the RAM in my build. I tried again with my old RAM, then one stick of the old, then the other, same thing for the new, tried moving back and forth between DIMM slots. I keep getting the same results, new RAM or old. So far I've only been testing with slots 2 and 4, as that's what I typically had both sticks into.

I've tested both new and old RAM with MemTest86. Zero errors...

I decided to open up Task Manager and GPU-Z, just so I could really see what was going on, while Prime95 was doing its thing.

I started noticing a pattern. The CPU would eventually reach up to 70°C, just before everything locked up. Kept doing this for every attempt...

I'm not really suspecting the CPU to be at fault here, because it's been able to handle really intense loads in the past. Not suspecting the PSU at all, because there isn't much of a load really going on, power-wise... It's rated for 750w. Probably never seeing anything that close to 750, when I'm running these tests...

Needless to say, I'm completely stumped on this, and it really sucks because I just spent $90 on the new RAM for my build...

Any ideas on what might be causing this? I'd appreciate any help I can get, here...

What type of cpu cooler do you have on this and is the fan running for the cpu? Also check behind the fan to see if the cooling fins are plugged up with dusty stuff

Have you checked Event Viewer for any errors/alerts? Especially thermal, as it is happening under load.

Okay. Sorry, I'm dumb. A BIOS update solved the issue. Now the CPU sits comfortably around 75°C max, during Prime95. (With no freezing. Woo!)

Sorry for not thinking of that sooner.

Back
Top Bottom