Pc locking up randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny_uk

Fully Optimized
Ok ive owned my pc about 2 years now or maybe slightly more and ive not had one single problem.
Now yesterday and today the pc just totally locked up, like the mouse and keyboard wont respond, so the only option im left with is to turn it off by the mains power.
Whats the problem here do we think?

few things you can test

download memtest 386 and boot off the cd to test memory for a few hours

google drive fitness test and boot off that to test the harddrives to see if they have gone bad

scan for spyware and viruses.

Well i know for sure its not the latter as im careful what i do, always run a good AV/ firewall, not to mention this copy of xp pro is only a month old, so i think we can cross that off the list!

Ill try those 2 things thanks

oh one thing, what do you mean boot off the cd to test memory? the programme will be on my hard drive?

hardware failing can definately cause lockups. once had a xp install lock up cause the harddrive was bad.

well the HDD is about as old as the whole system(so about 2-3 years) also when i bought the pc it was ex display stock from a shop so could be abit older.
Possibility its the HDD then, if it is that will give me a good reason to buy a speedy raptor.

Hmm cant get the hdd one, i googled it but the website is down.

Anything else i can use to test it?

EDIT i found one, ill just test now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom