PC freezing during gaming after a few upgrades...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zirome44

Beta member
Kind of a broad question relating to hardware and software that could fall into many Topics, forgive me if this isn't the right place.

First a little rundown of the situation before the true question(s) at hand.

Recently bought a couple of 250GTS (nvidia) to replace my old 7800's (nvidia), plus 4g ram (gskill).

Figured with the new ram and dx10 cards I'd skip Vista and give Win 7 x64 a go. Operating system itself ran great but I would freeze while playing games and I would have to cold boot. Tried turning off the superfetch so there would be less going on in the background. Still froze.

So I took a step back and tried out Vista x64. Same deal as above.

Gonna go back to XP x64 and see how that goes. I'll miss the dx10, the xp hack doesn't work for me.

So now my hardware related question.

I have a weak processor, AMD 3800+ X2 @ 2.1ghz (939). Also I have one of the early SLI mobos. Abit KN8 Sli, which when in Sli mode the pci-e slots only have the 8X bandwidth rather than 16X.

Do you think my CPU isn't able to keep up with my Vid Cards, so I'm freezing up?

Do you think the Vid Cards are having issues with the half bandwidth, so I'm freezing up?
(vid cards are supposed to be backwards compatible with first generation pci-e slots).

Do you think Vista and Win7 are beasts and my modest system is just having issues performing in games on those two OS's so I'm freezing up?

Only other thing could be HDD close to failing I guess, not sure. I tend to defrag a little too much which can cause wear and tear. Not to mention the numerous times I have reformatted in the past.

Gonna switch my storage drive to be the main drive and try out XP x64 again just to see if it's freezing there too now. If everything goes well with XP though, any insight to why Vista and Win7 keep freezing on my system during gaming would be much appreciated. The operating systems themselves ran great, and I was able to use DX10 so I'm quite unhappy to be going back to DX9 status again :(

regarding your other Q; unlikely that the decreased bandwidth is affecting your cards' performance. if anything, your cpu is bottlenecking your cards.

btw, you coulda gotten 2 hd 5750s instead for dx11 but anyway, as far as the freezing goes i also agree that it might be your psu if it's too weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom