PC freezes upon startup - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: PC freezes upon startup

I wanted to go ahead and update this. I decided after doing what was described above, to try something else since it didn't work. I read some things about it not being properly grounded and whatnot, but the one that stuck out was that it was my gpu. Well I took it out, and it booted with no problems. I was able to play on the pc all week. Well this is the third time my gpu has gone down the crapper, and I just got it back about a month ago. But thanks for the advice.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Private Joker

It could be a problem with your PSU if your GPU keeps going bad. What PSU do you have?

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-17-2011, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9

I just got a new one of these about a month ago too.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

You took it out and it booted with no problems. It sounds like you never removed the drivers for the onboard video? That sounds like your whole problem.

Uninstall the drivers for your on-board video and the drivers for the video card you've been trying to use. You said you've tried a few different video cards, were they all ATI cards? If not then remove any other video drivers that might be installed. Shut down the PC and install the new video card. Start the PC and enter the bios setup, there maybe an option to disable the on-board video, do so if it is available (some motherboard will automatically disable the on-board if a regular video card is detected). Save and exit the bios. When Windows loads you'll need to re-install the latest video drivers for the card only.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Time to update:
So my pc started again to freeze last week. I called Asus to see what they recommended and they told me to do a clean install. Well I did a clean install, and I am back to having the problem again. So it makes me think its a hardware problem. I did memtest86, and my RAM seems fine. What else should I try? This is getting very frustrating, and I shouldn't be having these problems after paying $1200 for a pc less than a year ago.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hi, I had the same problem with my old laptop, it was running windows vista.

I was able to start up the laptop in safe mode but as soon as I started it up in normal mode it would freeze, I took it to some places and they always said the cause could be the video chip, and it was in the motherboard, so to repair it they will have to change the motherboard.

What I did to be able to start it up in normal mode was to disable the video card and run it with the vga.

Closed Thread