PC freezes even on BIOS! Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phanto

Daemon Poster
Hello,

I have a problem with an Acer (Laptop) Aspire 5100, the thing is that when the laptop boot up to the login screen freezes and don't respond at all, also sometimes freezes too at the "boot loading screen", it even crashes on the BIOS.
I tried running Memtest today and it ran fine for about 1 and a half minute and then just crashed and the screen goes all weird showing some "lines" or it just freezes up and don' respond at all.

My apologies if I didn't describe well the situation but I'm trying the best I can..

Anyway Thank you for your help in advance and patience!

-----------
Phanto

I had the same problem with a customer's IBM T20 and it ended up being that the stick of RAM was half in/half out of it's slot. No idea how the computer still functioned but it did except for the random crashes you're talking about.

The laptop is suppose to have 1GB RAM so I believe there are 2 sticks, each one of 512mb, I don't know for sure because I can't open the laptop because there are 3 screws that I can't take out easy, so I will try again today and let you guys know.

Thank you for your feedback and knowledge :)

You might need some smaller screw drivers to avoid stripping those screws. YOu can buy a set of micro screwdrivers cheaply--I got a couple sets from Walgreens for $2 a piece. That's an idea if you can't get them out, anyhow.

Sorry for the delay replying to this thread but I have been busy with university homework and all that stuff that I didn't have enough time.

Update:

I manage to open the cover and check both sticks of RAM using the Memtest 3.4a, I honestly can't said if the problem here is the Memory the test just stop after around 30 seconds or less, I manage to get some screen shots they are below, also after a couple of more seconds after the test just stop by himself I get the error of the weird screen and the PC just freeze and I need to shut it down.

The photo are not in the best quality so sorry for that but at least is something.

DSC00814.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

Thank you for you time and knowledge :)

wow.

all I can say like everyone said about, try moving/removing/replacing sticks of memory.

nowadays, you can get some real cheap laptop memory (256mb, 512mb) go down to the store and buy a stick just for the sake of seeing if it works. if not return the memory.

If that fails. That computer is toast, and it is out of your hands.

If that fails. That computer is toast, and it is out of your hands.
I'll take it! :)
seriously, just go out and buy another stick of memory, as mentioned already they are dirt cheap. Or, if you can get access to another laptop, install the ram from the bad laptop into the other, and run memtest again.

I had a problem (recently) with my pc freezing randomly, even during boot up - It was almost certainly bad capacitors on the motherboard, and since i've gotten a new motherboard i've not had any problems with freezing.

Check your motherboards capacitors for bulges/fluid leaking (Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home is worth checking if you need help).

Alternatively, dodgy power supplies can cause some pretty crazy things to happen during boot up - so perhaps test with one that you know works properly.

I had a problem (recently) with my pc freezing randomly, even during boot up - It was almost certainly bad capacitors on the motherboard, and since i've gotten a new motherboard i've not had any problems with freezing.

Check your motherboards capacitors for bulges/fluid leaking (Badcaps.net - Badcaps Home is worth checking if you need help).

Alternatively, dodgy power supplies can cause some pretty crazy things to happen during boot up - so perhaps test with one that you know works properly.

its a laptop so he cant replace the mobo or psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom