PC Freezes - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default PC Freezes

Its a long story !..first i was away from home for like 3 weeks..then i cam back home and suddenly i recognize that my PC aint booting up at all..it just spins the processor's fan a little..gives the sound of booting up but it only stays for like a second or even less then it boots down !..i removed almost every thing and put it back again..nothing happened but few desperate bootups..so i changed the power supply when i knew that my neighborhood experienced some electricity problem..with the new power supply every thing went fine but one thing came new !..after a random amount of time the pc just freezes...the only thing i can move was the CD tom door lol !!

so i restarts...but i have some symptoms and steps i've done i'd like to tell u about

1.i thought its my hard dist coz when the pc freezes it usually if not always gives me the red light indicating HDD access..the red light on top of my case..so i used an old 6 IDE GB hard disk..it didnt freeze at all..so i thought its my 80 SATA GB hard disk that caused the problem..so i got a new one..a 160 SATA GB hard disk..problem still exists !

2.i have 2 RAMs..512 MB DDR and a 256 MB DDR...i got my RAM out..cleaned them with a spray with a video cleaner spray..volatile and leaves nothing behind it..also cleaned the ram slots..used both rams..switched their places..used one ram at a time..switched their places..problem still exists but when i use the 256 one..problem seems to get delayed a little !

3.now i think this one will be a good guid..when i play music on winamp for example and attempt to load a huge application..the sound is scrambled..it still outputs but its like with air in it !!..lol i mean its messed as long as the application is loading..so briefly..hard disk access has something to do with sound output

4.a new symptom came up recently...some times when i boot..the sound is great..but the screen is dead..powered but its not showing ny thing.

5.another new symptom came up recently...the pc like gets punched in the face and restarts..here's the sequence..my task bar..i made it wider and silver (modern xp style)..it loses style and returns narrow (classic windows) then the screen goes of with a horizontal white line in it and the pc restarts

This is confusing i know...and its my first time here..so i have nothing to say but a great thank u for ny one who helps me here..thnx in advance

Old 12-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: PC Freezes

Do you have any restore points? If so try to restore to some point three weeks prior to returning. To rule out software. If you dont try to start in safe mode F8 while booting till you see the menu for safe boot to see how it runs without all the drivers loaded. If nothing else try to do a reinstall and see if that clears things up. If not then you will have some hardware problem.
Closed Thread