PC fails to turn on...but PSU isn't completely dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigy

In Runtime
Ok, yesterday i shut off perfectly fine, but today nothing happens at all when I press the power button on the front..no drives or fans spinning, nothing.

There has been a storm in between, but the computer wasn't on at all during the storm.

Yes the psu is turned on, yes the outlet is good, and yes there is a status LED on on the mobo in between the PCIe slots, telling me that it might not be a strict PSU failure. However i dont know if it could still be a psu failer despite the status light being on.

I checked all the internal connections, and they all look in order. nothing's been shaken around since hte last time i was on the computer, so i have no idea how something could become dislodged or something.

Maybe its a mobo failure?
but again, I shut down correctly, not with some freak BSOD from ****...

Thanks for whatever the advice is on trying to find out what the problem is, what hardware has died, etc

nforce 4 dfi infinty sli mobo
athlon 64 3700
geforce 7900gt
1gig budget ram
antec psu w/ plenty of power
some raidmax case
two HDD's, one 80gig one 250gig. seagate at least one of them. SATA.

what LEDs?

the led i speak of is a single led light in between the pcie slots.

Actually, Can anyone say for sure if , since some power is indeed getting through to the motherboard, if that means that the PSU is most definintly not at fault (because of the LED being on on the mobo) and i should check other components (what other components other than mobo is it likely are the culprit) , or is it possible that the PSU is fried, but STILL is getting some power to the LED on the mobo?

thanks

So nothing happens at all other than an LED coming on? Your fans don't spin up for like half of a millisecond? It sounds like some power is getting to the mobo, but not enough. I had a problem somewhat similar to this recently, i had a rogue spacer that was grounding my mobo.

Have you tried dusting the mobo, and power connections and stuff? If not get yourself some compressed air and try to clean some stuff off. If that doesn't work try unplugging things randomly.

Also you can remove the motherboard and PSU and do an ourside check. When you set up the mobo on a static-free surface(like the bag it came in), connect it to the mobo, and then connect the mobo to a monitor and see what happens(I wouldn't advise this one if you don't know what you're doing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom