PC Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misto

Beta member
I have been having problems with a new PC of mine and hoping someone here can help me out.

I recently built a new PC for my father. I had no problems putting everything in the case and connecting everything, all the part were compatible, etc. However, when I attempted to turn the PC on, the fans and CD drive and lights would all power up, but I would get no display on my monitor. I tried 3 different monitors, all with the same results. I wasn't getting and BIOS display or anything, just no signal.

I thought that maybe the motherboard was faulty, since it was a little older. So i ordered a brand new motherboard and tried again. I'm getting the same results. Fans/CD Drive/etc all turn on, but no display whatsoever.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Any help would be appreciated.

Have you tried running the computer with the bare essentials? Ram, motherboard, powersupply, processor, graphics (unless onboard)?
Have you tried resetting your bios? Remove the power cable from outlet and remove the button cell battery from the mobo. Wait at least 30 secs or like 10 minutes if that doesn't work. Reattach

specs?

Something is probably grounding out. Try assembling everything out of the case (on a insulated surface like wood or cardboard) and see if it works. A common problem is one of the stand-offs the mobo bolts to is in a different location with a new mobo.

Well, I tried those things with the old motherboard, taking out battery, assembling out of case, and trying only one ram stick, with essentials. I haven't done it with the new one yet, got a bit frustrated.

have you tried troubleshooting the mobo ~ case headers on the motherboard (array of pins that hookup to various buttons, activity lights etc etc...)
You may have them hooked up on the wrong spots or the polarity is wrong.

Also, did you check to see if you hooked up the AUX power connection on the motherboard?? Some motherboard have an EXTRA connection that the PSU will hook up too.

And, Abstract Hero made a good point on trying to do a barebones boot with the motherboard, just make sure you try that on the new mobo also.

Something is probably grounding out. Try assembling everything out of the case (on a insulated surface like wood or cardboard) and see if it works. A common problem is one of the stand-offs the mobo bolts to is in a different location with a new mobo.

I Agree, but it can also be the opposite problem (had it happen placing a Dell Mobo in a gamer case) that you are missing one of your risers some where and the Mobo isn't being grounded where it should be. This sounds very similar to the problem i had, it boiled down to i was missing a riser. Check for the foil rimmed holes... there should be a riser at each one of these.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the front panel headers are plugged in right (plugged them in 3 times for each to make sure i got them right)

I'll try the other suggestions tomorrow and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom